Auto econ confused

idmorris

Ive done a search of the forum to try and clarify a climate control query, but havent found the answer so.............

I can understand that when I select AUTO the air is conditioned by the warm air from the engine and the cool/cold air from the conditioner. The ECON function basically cuts out the conditioner and draws external air for the cooling aspect.

My confusion is the display.

Press the AUTO button, get AUTO legend...its in AUTO..happy with that...

Press the ECON button, get AUTO and ECON legend.??????????? confused

Press either airflow direction control or fan speed...get ECON legend...sort of happy cos it sounds like my above reasoning for ECON mode.

So, can someone please let me know what is happening when I have got both the AUTO & ECON legend displayed.........

Many thanks in advance...

BTW the manual is like a chocolate fire guard and confused.com couldnt answer my query!!!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The flaps etc are still in auto mode, it will work to the best of its ability its just the fans are cut out and the efficency of the compressor knocked back to its minimum state (it never actually turns off, its always going).

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
The way I understand it, if you select Auto then it will do what it needs to do to maintain the temperature that you have set by either heating or cooling.

Pressing the Econ button switches off the Air-con compressor. Auto will still work with Econ pressed but will not have the benefit of the Air-con.

Using the windscreen setting will switch it to heating and use the Air-con for the drying power.

That's the way I understand it anyway. Could be wrong though.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Ive done a search of the forum to try and clarify a climate control query, but havent found the answer so.............

I can understand that when I select AUTO the air is conditioned by the warm air from the engine and the cool/cold air from the conditioner. The ECON function basically cuts out the conditioner and draws external air for the cooling aspect.

My confusion is the display.

Press the AUTO button, get AUTO legend...its in AUTO..happy with that...

Press the ECON button, get AUTO and ECON legend.??????????? confused

Press either airflow direction control or fan speed...get ECON legend...sort of happy cos it sounds like my above reasoning for ECON mode.

So, can someone please let me know what is happening when I have got both the AUTO & ECON legend displayed.........

Many thanks in advance...

BTW the manual is like a chocolate fire guard and confused.com couldnt answer my query!!!

it's simple mate, whenenever you see 'auto' in the display, it means the traditional function of climate is in operation, i.e. like Craig says, the system tries to maintain whatever temp is set, it will juggle with the temp and air output however it likes to maintain the temp, i.e. get in your car after it's been stood in the sun on a hot day the interior will (v probably) be much hotter than your temp setting, so the system has to get down to that temp and will turn your blowers on very high, once it starts to get there it starts easing off the blowers, and when it hits the temp required it eases off the blower even more, so they'll just tickover, it starts to cruise :).

All the 'econ' legend signifies is whether the aircon unit is on or off, so let's go back to the car stood on a hot day scenario, with auto and econ both lit, there's no aircon function, the system still know's it has to get down to your required temp setting but it may struggle to get there, as there's no cooling produced by the system, hit the econ button, the legend goes out, the aircon unit turns on and cool air will start blowing.

Think of auto and econ like this, they're seperate functions and operate independently, so whenever you see the auto legend (whether the econ legend is lit or not) it means the system tries to maintain the temp level you have set, if you see no auto legend (again, doesn't matter whether econ is lit or not) then the system will output the temp you have set on a constant basis. The econ legend simply signifies whether the aircon unit is switched on or not, so with no legend showing, the system will still be able to produce any heat that is required, but it will only be able to emit air down to the level of the outside temp but no lower.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Let us know if there's owt else old lad :D

idmorris

Thanks for the replies lads.........

Phil......excellent stuff.....thx

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members