Backdraft GT2860RS Ibiza Build

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Ive been asked to get the thread going on the recent build so here it is.

The kit have never been fitted to the Ibiza and as i have a donor car it seems a perfect opportunity. We have had to make a different downpipe and cat/de-cat section and intake, but its all gone very well. Some piccys:

DSC00261-1.jpg

The turbo and manifold have to come off to fit the downpipe in. I think i must have had it off 20 times while making and tacking up the pipes.

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

As you can see the 3" pipe fitted fine

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

Finished product. It takes fooking ages to polish all the pipes up. I still want them shinier, but i will do all that when is all comes off to be jigged.

DSC00282-1.jpg

DSC00283-1.jpg

Alex

Last edited:

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Its on Revo Stage 3. Im running 1.5 bar boost at the moment so at a guess it should be around 330bhp. I will get in on the rollers.

Turbo does sit nice and high. I like it that way to show it off!!! ;)

Dec 31, 2005
London
Lol

doesnt it get hot though,and its very close to the bonnet?

330bhp is perfect! have you done your internals or keeping it that level so you dont have to?

are you running a limited slip diff? soo many questions lol sorry

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Lol

doesnt it get hot though,and its very close to the bonnet?

330bhp is perfect! have you done your internals or keeping it that level so you dont have to?

are you running a limited slip diff? soo many questions lol sorry

It does get fairly hot, but the carbon helps ;)

Internals are standard. Im sure it will be fine running slightly more power still so i will be upping it more to test.

I run a Peloquins ATB diff. Still has a little trouble getting the power down in 1st and 2nd.

Nice clean setup, well done.

Cheers :)

Small update. Removed the aircon this morning. As the Ibiza will shortly be my 2nd car so i wont be using it that much i thought feck it. Was very tight getting the pipes out due to the turbo and downpipe, but i never give up.

Ive also been having clutch issues. Something isnt right, but im yet to take the box off to investigate. The clutch just wont release enough to get gears. Ive tried bleeding and replacing the master and slave, but still the same issues. The pedal feels perfect tho. It could be the pressure plate has broken down, the friction plate has dissintergrated or the rivets in the fly have started to come out. I did have to drive 30miles home without being able to use the clutch. There was crunching involved a few times! :headhurt:

Andy Cotton

Sep 20, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
I bought a GT28RS and manifold from Backdraft - make sure you run an oil restrictor with this turbo. Backdraft didn't advise me that I needed one and the turbo went Bang after only 8000 miles.

Learn from my mistake otherwise it will get expensive ! My Car is mental !

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
sorry m8 im back on my own computer now. what was it your after? pm me ive cleared my inbox now.

i have your old gt2860 kit 2 m8 havin it tweeked soon by badger5.

how did you get the manifold on do you have 2 mod any spanners 2 fit? its tight only havin prob with 2bolts on mani and im away :)

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Will be the downpipe and de-cat/cat become a stock item from backdraft, if so what sort of prices would we looking at?

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
I bought a GT28RS and manifold from Backdraft - make sure you run an oil restrictor with this turbo. Backdraft didn't advise me that I needed one and the turbo went Bang after only 8000 miles.

Learn from my mistake otherwise it will get expensive ! My Car is mental !

We have never had one go from not using an oil restrictor (We do use them now anyway BTW). They can fail even when using an oil restrictor. It doesnt mean it was that that was the issue.

sorry m8 im back on my own computer now. what was it your after? pm me ive cleared my inbox now.

i have your old gt2860 kit 2 m8 havin it tweeked soon by badger5.

how did you get the manifold on do you have 2 mod any spanners 2 fit? its tight only havin prob with 2bolts on mani and im away :)

They can all be done with a normal 12 or 13mm spanner depending on the bolts used.

Will be the downpipe and de-cat/cat become a stock item from backdraft, if so what sort of prices would we looking at?

It will be once the jig is finished. Im not fully sure on prices yet, but i will get them sorted before PhilW comes to shoot me!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.