Bad speakers or Bad H/U

pharmdrake

I recently purchased my first Seat, a Leon Mk1. The previous owner had replaced the original H/U with a Kenwood KDC-W237 (the cheapest thing he could find) after the original equipment "quit working". Since that time all 8 speakers have sounded "blown". Sound improves with higher volume, but always has some distortion. Is this a case of underpowered H/U, or am I into something deeper?

Before I spend $$ upgrading to an Alpine (the favorite on these forums), I would appreciate advice on how to investigate the problem. Thanks

probs a sh!t h/u... i personally wouldnt ever touch anything Kenwood made... generally for the reason they are cheap to by, cheaply made.... and cheaply sounding, due to cr@p built in amps.

It probs says on the front 4x50 watts on the front... but thats probs at 1 olm and peak power... probs has an RMS of 5 watts.... lol.

If your after a new one... go Alpine, you'll pay a bit more, but the quality is unbeatbale and you'll never look back...

Also the stock speakers arent fantastic... but mine didnt annoy me too much... untill i changed them for some JL Audio ones, and realised they sucked balls...

gus

Jun 27, 2006
hi mate i have a alpine cda-9887r for sale if u want to upgrade your unit £200

gus

Jun 27, 2006
still a bargin though for the money and its in mint condition????

pharmdrake

Upgraded to an Alpine x200. All the speakers still sound like crap, better but still bad, so I guess it's upgrade time. It doesn't seem like upgrading to components is a good idea based on how the tweeters are installed, so I will probably go with 6.5 composites. Thoughts on replacing?

pharmdrake

I know I need to drill them both out to remove. What's the procedure for securing the replacements?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise