badge painting

L31GH C

PS3 Tag: L31GHC
Dec 21, 2008
Birmingham
how do, i am thinking of spraying my 'S' badges on my ibiza gloss black & was wondering how easy/hard are they to remove? & re attach?

also what do people recommend using to paint them??? i.e plastic primer, paint them laquer??? & do you recomend sanding them too?

cheers leigh

andy_tratter

Sep 17, 2008
Near JabbaSport ;)
I did the front grill S badge, wasnt too difficult. i didnt sand it or anything and just used normal primer and paint etc. did use 2 or tthree coats of each tho before it looked ok. would recomend sanding it firsdt tho, would at least help the primer stick.

If your on about the raer badge then i dont knwo about removing it, but should be the same material so give it a good sand then you should be ok to use one coat of each, but just see how it goes at each step - use more paint if need be like

andy_tratter

Sep 17, 2008
Near JabbaSport ;)
Yeah if its the front grill, just open the bonnett and pull the grill up, there's no screws or nothing. then just mask around the badge and bobs your uncle.

If its the rear S (ie the boot handle) then i dont know, guessing that would be a bit of a mission.

Mat

it is possible to pop the "S" out. Think you just push it out. Mine will need repainting soon, so I also could do with knowing how to remove.

Sure masking is ok, but what if you miss a bit? Plus you can't spray the sides of the "S". Also with the "S" removed, it makes it easier to sand down as it will fit in the palm of your hand.

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
I popped the S out of the fron grill and rubbed it down with some wet and dry to rough it up a bit to key it for primer. the S has a couple of little plastic welds in the back than can be popped off with a screw driver. I sprayed mine with about 3 coats of normal primer, 5 coats of gloss black and then a few coats of lacquer. glue it back into the grill and put it back in. While the S was out I also sprayed the little bars that intersect the 'S' in seat flash red same colour as the car, so the badge is all gloss black with red lines through it.

I did the boot badge too although it's a bit more difficult to get out. take out all the plastic inside the boot door, 3 screws and lots of clips. undo the nuts (8mm i think) holding the handle and lock in, disconnect and remove. the rear badge is metal so is easier to work on. mask it all of except the outer face, sand, primer, spray and lacquer. I did mine flash red like the rest of the car so it just blends in a bit better. get plent of coats on the rear badge as it gets a bit more wear since it is also the boot handle and the paint could wear off if not done nice and thick. I'll try to get some pics on later.

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
I popped the S out of the fron grill and rubbed it down with some wet and dry to rough it up a bit to key it for primer. the S has a couple of little plastic welds in the back than can be popped off with a screw driver. I sprayed mine with about 3 coats of normal primer, 5 coats of gloss black and then a few coats of lacquer. glue it back into the grill and put it back in. While the S was out I also sprayed the little bars that intersect the 'S' in seat flash red same colour as the car, so the badge is all gloss black with red lines through it.

I did the boot badge too although it's a bit more difficult to get out. take out all the plastic inside the boot door, 3 screws and lots of clips. undo the nuts (8mm i think) holding the handle and lock in, disconnect and remove. the rear badge is metal so is easier to work on. mask it all of except the outer face, sand, primer, spray and lacquer. I did mine flash red like the rest of the car so it just blends in a bit better. get plent of coats on the rear badge as it gets a bit more wear since it is also the boot handle and the paint could wear off if not done nice and thick. I'll try to get some pics on later.

Thats sounds like it came out really nice mate, look forwards to the pictures.

Was thinking to do mine black and the bars blue

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
Did my badges black. I also had black inserts, wheels and black mirrors so i think the car pulled it off quite nicely

21082008225.jpg

21082008230.jpg

L31GH C

Dec 21, 2008
Birmingham
anyone want to do mine??? lol, spent the last 2 hours doing it & the paint just keeps re-acting :( so give up now sanded it down that much, most of the silver has now gone & nearly back to the original creamy colour plastic lol

going to try again tomorrow & possibly start on the rear one too

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
The last pic would have looked better if there was silver in it
Basically the opposite of what it is standard

The black is just to black if you understand IMO

Trying to get away from any colour that wasn't black or yellow, as it just looked odd. The only thing i did think about was the 's' black and the other bits yellow. But in the end it seemed more hassle than it was worth. It looked better than it was standard so i was pleased with the results

The pic doesn't really show it too well, it all looks like a blob and blended in but in the flesh it looked rather nice :D

Razor

Inked Up Nation
Oct 12, 2008
Outside Belfast
www.bebo.com
Yeh a see what you mean...
An onvi yellow badge with black along the outside would look nice maybe

i might give it a go with red / black on silver on the weekend..
sounds a nightmare to remove butt !! :(

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
i think im going to have ago at the weekend going to get the badges from a scarppy and have the s red and the grills red lol :D

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
Yeh a see what you mean...
An onvi yellow badge with black along the outside would look nice maybe

i might give it a go with red / black on silver on the weekend..
sounds a nightmare to remove butt !! :(

With your car being silver the back badge won't stand out as much. It was just the only silver thing left on the exterior and it annoyed me so it had to be done lol

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
anyone want to do mine??? lol, spent the last 2 hours doing it & the paint just keeps re-acting :( so give up now sanded it down that much, most of the silver has now gone & nearly back to the original creamy colour plastic lol

going to try again tomorrow & possibly start on the rear one too

Try heating it up a litle with a paint stripper gun or if you don't have one of those try a hair dryer. your spray can should really be at room temp too, if they're kept in the garage they'll be freezing - stand them in warm water to heat the paint a little. spray them and then blow them over with the heat gun again quickly just to help set the paint.

here are a few pics of mine, taken at night so not the best. excuse the dirt and massive bug splat on the front - I wash it every weekend but I cross-country rally drive it to work every day!

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

L31GH C

Dec 21, 2008
Birmingham
looks cool mate, i had hair dryer handy & heaters on but kept bubbling :( going to try iy tomorrow, the do the rear in the week, if not just get another grill lol

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
You're not getting it too hot are you? Make sure you clean & dry it after sanding too. Are you doing it indoors or outside? I did mine in the garage then put them in front of the fire to help dry the paint.

Last edited:

L31GH C

Dec 21, 2008
Birmingham
yes mate doing it in my garage witha electric heater on to allow drying, also made sure everythinks clean & dry, don't understand it as i've done this sort of thing many times & never had any problems before lol going to have another go later & see how it goes

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members