Base model head unit to MIB1 or maybe 2

May 9, 2023
Hello there!

I've been looking everywhere to find how to swap my base model head unit (just a cd player with a screen, nothing is in my glovebox) to at least a MIB1. I really don't like this base one and would love to upgrade to anything but an Android HU (as I've heard I'm going to lose the communication between the HU and the cluster display), the problem is that I can't seem to find any good tutorials. I can get the MIB1 for around 100 bucks so that is cheap, but how do I fit it in the glovebox? What about wiring? I know there's also component protection, but that's another story for when I actually get it on my car...

Any good tutorials out there? I heard about Yorkshire guys that retrofit, but I am nowhere near UK...

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hello there!

I've been looking everywhere to find how to swap my base model head unit (just a cd player with a screen, nothing is in my glovebox) to at least a MIB1. I really don't like this base one and would love to upgrade to anything but an Android HU (as I've heard I'm going to lose the communication between the HU and the cluster display), the problem is that I can't seem to find any good tutorials. I can get the MIB1 for around 100 bucks so that is cheap, but how do I fit it in the glovebox? What about wiring? I know there's also component protection, but that's another story for when I actually get it on my car...

Any good tutorials out there? I heard about Yorkshire guys that retrofit, but I am nowhere near UK...
I personally wouldn't go for the MIB1, MIB2 with nav card that you can update yourself.

Reactions: ionutstefan98

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
Installing MIB1 is pointless, def MIB2 with nav is the right choice. I did the same (you can use google translate to see this):
MIB1 -> MIB2 +SSS +HiLine back camera
I use one Polish from the briskoda to remove the component protection on my head unit. But it was 2 years ago and back then was no information on the public web. Now I think is different and even on the MIB big topic hire has some info and tools.