BBC WM news tonight.........

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Interesting report about starting kids having lessons in driving at young ages to help with understanding, road safety and accident prevention etc.

I mention this here because every car that was being used were the new MK5 Ibiza Ecomotives!! I don't know how many were used (I seen at least half dozen) but a great coup for them to be sponsoring what appears to be a worthwhile practice.

Did any West Mids folks on here see it?

Cheers

Andy

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Thanks zboyd. Very interesting links. Thanks for the info. :)

My mistake on the ecomotive front though. Great fun for 12yr olds to learn in eh! ;) Beats go-karts on some holiday park! lol

Andy

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I did something kind of similar many many many years ago, that was probably ahead of the curve at the time. Its good to see an initiative like this gaining industry support.

It was a pre-driving course for 16/17 year olds run at Manchester Bus Depot training centre. They had a mockup road system there complete with traffic lights, give ways, junctions of most descriptions and even a skid pan. I did the course over a month or so every Saturday morning until I turned 17.

I then went for proper driving lessons for about 3 weeks and passed my test first time.

Looking back on it almost 20 years later I found it very useful in a non-threatening location with no traffic about and it built confidence (not that I needed it that much) I was eager to drive from an early age. But it certainly prepared me for my lessons and instilled some road sense into me before I got out on the proper roads.

The road network and the volume of traffic since I passed my test in 1990 has increased massively and anything that can prepare young people and arm them with some common road sense from at an early age gets my vote.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members