Beeping on Startup: 1.4S

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
My wife's Leon 1.4S has a problem where every so often when you start the car, you get a couple of beeps and a light comes on (and stays on). She tells me that it's most evident when it's cold and has happened since she went in to the back of someone a few years back. It just happened as she was heading out now.

She borrowed my LCR a couple of days ago and I had hers and it happened to me too. Usually you can just restart and everything is OK, although sometimes it can happen a few times before it passes.

It's a 2005 model on around 35k. There was a lot that was replaced on the front, including the radiator (don't know exactly what, didn't pay attention at the time). Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

My wife's Leon 1.4S has a problem where every so often when you start the car, you get a couple of beeps and a light comes on (and stays on). She tells me that it's most evident when it's cold and has happened since she went in to the back of someone a few years back. It just happened as she was heading out now.

She borrowed my LCR a couple of days ago and I had hers and it happened to me too. Usually you can just restart and everything is OK, although sometimes it can happen a few times before it passes.

It's a 2005 model on around 35k. There was a lot that was replaced on the front, including the radiator (don't know exactly what, didn't pay attention at the time). Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

Quick answer: scrape the metal prongs in your coolant expansion tank with a screwdriver.

Happens A LOT this time of year

midgetgem

Jul 20, 2006
Carlisle
Depends on what light? if its the little red one on the temp guage its usually the coolant level or an airlock in the system, the petrol guage does it aswell

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Cheers guys. Will take a look at it when she gets home. Sounds very likely that it could be something to do with the coolant if they had the radiator off (twice) after her shunt, don't you think? Seems very funny timing otherwise.

Will check which light it is next time it happens too. I think it's either the petrol gauge or the temperature gauge, I forget

Cheers guys. Will take a look at it when she gets home. Sounds very likely that it could be something to do with the coolant if they had the radiator off (twice) after her shunt, don't you think? Seems very funny timing otherwise.

Will check which light it is next time it happens too. I think it's either the petrol gauge or the temperature gauge, I forget

I'd put money on the coolant, not lack of it necessarily but the sensor in the tank needing a clean. This crops up every year on cold mornings...happens to loads of people (me included until I bothered to clean the sensor!!)

Should hopefully be an easy fix

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I cleaned the prongs last winter and it went away and its come back again this year. I think its a new coolant tank and sensor now.

Scraping the prongs does work though, do that first.
But i would just change the coolant tank for a new one, i recall that they were only about 15 quid from the dealers.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well she's back home now and she says she thinks it's the light on the temperature gauge. The fact that it stays on until it's restarted had me thinking it's not as clear cut as just being cold. Also, my LCR doesn't complain in similar (or colder) conditions. I've got to go out to check something with my car in a mo anyway so I'll see if I can take a look at hers while I'm out there and we'll see if it clears it.

Cheers all

Well she's back home now and she says she thinks it's the light on the temperature gauge. The fact that it stays on until it's restarted had me thinking it's not as clear cut as just being cold. Also, my LCR doesn't complain in similar (or colder) conditions. I've got to go out to check something with my car in a mo anyway so I'll see if I can take a look at hers while I'm out there and we'll see if it clears it.

Cheers all

In that case, it's the prongs! Almost certain.