Being doing some research regarding solid flywheels

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
Hi all,

been speaking to a number of garages/tuners over the last few days... and a few (im not saying names because it might cause trouble) have said that the solid flywheel kits are overpriced for what they actually are...

I decided to look into it a bit further and i stumbled across this item on ebay:

OCTAVIA 1.8VRS AUQ CLUTCH KIT & SOLID FLYWHEEL

Now.. at £195 i was extremem dubious about it, so i thought i would email the seller and see what the deal with it is... below is my message, quoted.

Forgive my writing style... was having an off day :lol:

Hi there,

Im the owner of a Seat Leon Cupra 1.8T (AUQ) which runs the same engine as the octavia Vrs (obviously all audi engines) and i was wondering if this kit will fit a Leon?

As you guys must know the DMF on these cars is a joke... its flimsy to say the least... so im looking for a solid system to replace it with.

Having done my research, i have found that a solid flywheel can cause "chatter" which leaves a lovely sounding car sounding like a diesel on tickover.

Are you able to confirm that this kit does or does not cause the "chatter"?

If you have any testimonies or even any videos of them fitted that would be great... as its quite a bit of money to be spending.... if its not going to do what i want it to do.

Finally, do you know what BHP and Torque these clutches are rated to?

Sorry for the list of questions... quick summary for you:

Will it fit a 2002 Seat Leon Cupra (AUQ)
Does it cause chatter?
What bhp/torque is safe to run through it?

Thanks,

Tom

they replied this morning at 7am with this:

Good morning Tom,

Thank you for your enquiry and thank you for taking the time to ask detailed questions.

Yes, this kit is ideal for your model of vehicle and you will never need a flywheel again.

We can confirm that this kit does not suffer from noise related chattering issues as it has a heavy duty sprung hub driven plate unlike some conversions which use the standard configuration plate.

The unit is rated to 460NM of torque and around 290bhp.

We do not have any videos of the unit in operation; it is in fact a fairly new product however we can say that if you were to be unhappy with it then it is covered under warranty and we would be willing to take it back in 'part exchange' either way against another kit of your choice.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Regards,

Frank.

- techniclutch

Now, im looking to further test their knowledge of the clutch, as they have answered all my questions, and even turned round and said they will part ex the kit if it chatters, which isnt so bad... although would render my car useless in the meantime :/

has anyone got any input into this?? Maybe you have looked into SMF conversions before, or you have one and have something to say.

The idea of this thread is so i can link it in my sig for anyone who doesnt want to spend £600+ on the DMF and clutch... help me help us! i dont mind being the guinea pig at all..

Cheers,

Tom

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
Christ!!

Best to leave them then... will strike them off my "sheet" and carry on looking.

is there anything else i should be asking Lee do you think??

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
Will they fit it for free ;)

haha! yeah thats not a bad shout...

having looked around i think i will be paying full whack for an SMF, because the cheaper "octavia" kits on ebay look like the sellers could be dodgy or the parts substandard!

paul26982

i fitted an uprated clutch to a highly tuned pd150 cupra running around 215BHP from those, didnt have a problem what so ever and never flackered over the year i had the car with the **** load of torque it had

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
SMF for 6spd. =240mm diameter need this :
http://www.drtuning.be/image.php?prodID=7529
SMF for 5spd. =228mm diameter need this:
http://www.drtuning.be/image.php?prodID=7562

Please note to use flywheel for 4 cyl. these have 6 hole bolt pattern while flywheel for 6cyl. has 10 hole bolt pattern.

These SMF work in diesel and gasser, but in diesel you need to use the gasser clutch kit, it wont fit with diesel clutch.

And be aware that those lightwheight ( about 5kg) FWs cause chatter on 6spd gearbox, especially in diesel engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0xV_8zZV4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Regards, Alex

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Trees a few flywheels on US eBay one called gripforce and the other ACT prolite flywheels which come in 8lb,10lb,12lb and 14lb each for the differenth type ot tuning.both come in alloy or chromo moly steel which is heat treated and balanced..

There about $230 for the 14Lb and go slightly more expensive the lighter you go...the OEM 240MM 6spd dmg is 25.3lb which is heavy as ****...i weighed one on Saturday...

Dec 19, 2006
I've got a helix clutch and single mass flywheel fitted to my cupra and yeah it chatters which doesn't bother me but it really handles the power nicely and has a standard biting point on it, very pleased with it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members