Benji's mk2 Leon FR 2.0 TSI

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I have had my car now for around a month, so I think it's about time I got on top of a progress thread! :)

To start with, the car is truely awesome and I love every minute that I am driving it! The power is incredible compared to my Alfa Mito 1.4 turbo that I had as my first car, and that in it's self was no slouch with 155hp from stock. I didn't really modify that one performance wise as they were unkown in the tuning world so nothing was "tried and tested" if you like. I only did cosmetic mods... I still miss the image of it and the amount of looks it used to get :(! However this is a different chapter as I always wanted a more rewarding driving experience than the Mito. Here she is:
mito.jpg

Anyway enough of that, here is the Leon when I picked it up from the dealers. Options include, Sat nav, convinience pack ( Rain sensors, light sensors, extra speakers, LEDs in rear view mirror, auto dimming rear mirror) Rear park sensors, Bluetooth and the usual standard stuff. Also had the dealers powder coat the wheels black and black mirror caps.
IMG-20120322-00041.jpg

IMG-20120322-00040.jpg

Once I had her back the first thing I did was change the hideous "yellow" bulbs to LED sidelights and MTEC H7's. I also vinyled the upper lip on the front bumper gloss black which makes the front look a lot more aggressive.
293007_10150604971021671_701071670_9410043_435005995_n.jpg

On the FR's there is something deffinitely missing from the back, it just looks so plain and standard..... a Cupra R spoiler was then ordered from seremotors and I had it painted by the painter at work in the spray booth. I'm so lucky I have access to this as it has and will continue to save me thousands in bodyshop bills haha!
IMG-20120327-00042.jpg

I then glued it on with the sealent that was supplied with the kit and it looked very good! (I think all FR's and cupra's should have these standard really)
IMG-20120401-00050.jpg

A debadge was then in order to clear up the rear end as it looks too cluttered with the "leon" writing. Also added a small aerial because the standard one resembles blackpool tower.
IMG-20120401-00056.jpg

IMG-20120402-00057.jpg

Gave the brakes a lick of paint before they start to oxidise and go rusty.. I was going to go with red but then I thought I would go with white as red is waaay over used!
I took off the brake pad retaining clips/springs and gave them a coat of gloss black high temp paint too. It really annoys me when people paint their brakes and paint literally everything including the visible part of the pad and clips etc. It looks really sloppy and crap. It's way better to do a proper job and take off the clips/springs and mask off the back of the brake pad. (Excuse the dirty wheels)
Wigan-20120429-00076.jpg

Then ordered some pressed plates from germany. The front one is 100mm shorter than the standard size but I kept the rear plate standard as smaller ones tend to get "lost" within the bumper because too much plastic is left uncovered. Also had all the front grills gloss black including the Seat badge, properly in the booth.
bbbbb.jpg

By this stage it was quite obvious the standard 17" FR wheels look too small for this type of car and do not fill the arches very well, plus there is too much tyre to wheel ratio for my liking. So I scoured ebay for a good deal on some genuine 18s and low and behold a set appeared for £450 with tyres. I rang the guy and made him a very cheeky offer of 200 quid and to my shock he accepted, he must have been desperate for cash :lol: So I did a 200 mile round trip to collect them. They were in perfect condition too, although I decided to replace the set of bridgestones for Falken ZE912's after all the raving reviews they have recieved recently. I managed to sell mine for £400 on flebay so I basically got a set of mint 18s with 4 brand new excellent quality tyres for a swap with my standard 17 FR's :p ( Amazing deal!) Some pics:
Wigan-20120430-00083.jpg

All rubbed down ready for painting..(All at work) Then they were hung up and painted to ensure coverage from all angles.
Before:
Wigan-20120502-00084.jpg

After:
Wigan-20120502-00088.jpg

And on the car with genuine mudflaps added:
Wigan-20120508-00093.jpg

It was then desperatly crying out to be lowered as it looked like a tank :(
Cheeky delivery from seremotors ;) :
Wigan-20120426-00070.jpg

Flaps, sideskirts, cupra R diffuser and SPORTLINES ready to be fitted!

Sportlines fitted, please note they have only just been fitted on these pictures so I expect it to go even lower once they settle. I am very pleased with the drop
as it is and it gives the car a great stance, it will be brilliant once they have settled. Ride has suprisingly remained the same and I would even go as far to say
the ride has actually improved over standard? It isnt harsh at all. Piccys:

Wigan-20120508-00100.jpg

Wigan-20120508-00096.jpg

WestLancashire-20120508-00095.jpg

546281_3951072977310_1294702672_3705247_1964987846_n.jpg

In amongst all the action I had the bluefin remap uploaded to the car and my god it pulls like a train now. Even standard the new 2.0 tsi lump is very quick but the bluefin has released an all new kind of beast. The remap claims 275hp and i can absolutly believe it.
It isnt all about figures, it's about how it drives on the road and it pulls so hard now in all the gears, and equipped with the dsg it's an awesome piece of kit. I had a play with a new RS focus and I can honestly say there was not a lot in it,
he would pull very slightly at the top end but I would claw it back with the dsg gear change :p All on a private duel carriage way of course, late at night where there was no traffic.

Now it's time for the Milltek :drool:! Really looking forward to this. Therefore I have had to prepare my rear diffuser:
Wigan-20120509-00101.jpg

Holes cut out for the exhaust :
Wigan-20120509-00105.jpg

Diffuser bonded onto rear valence and sprayed up gloss black at work :
Wigan-20120514-00111.jpg

I have also treated myself to a pot of Zymol Glasur, which is probably the best pound for pound wax that money can buy.
IMG-20120105-00012-1.jpg

It seems to be working well on my uncles Jag I detailed yesterday! :p
IMG-20110930-00018-1.jpg

More pics of the Milltek will be updated tomorrow when it's fitted, which is Fr_Kris 's old system :)

Last edited:

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Nice FR U got there...
I think those Iberas lost their "shape" when coated in black...i´d have gone gun metal or white!
Might be nicer in live than in pics tho...
Where did you get that diffusor attachment part?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
That looks so nice with the black 18" wheels. And the stance is great too!

It looks so much better in person, the pictures do it no justice what so ever, I need to invest in a decent camera :D

Nice FR U got there...
I think those Iberas lost their "shape" when coated in black...i´d have gone gun metal or white!
Might be nicer in live than in pics tho...
Where did you get that diffusor attachment part?

On the pictures it may look this way but they are totally different in person, they look great but i agree the images do not bring out the best in the wheels.
The valence and diffuser trim can be had from your local dealership, I cant remember the part numbers but they should be able to find them. Or ask Dave at seremotors, he will be far the cheapest :)

LeonFR_Matt

looks very nice. wish i had held out for a white one. the cupra r bumper is a nice upgrade, hows the miltek sound on these, i have a powerflow fitted but its so drowny?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
looks very nice. wish i had held out for a white one. the cupra r bumper is a nice upgrade, hows the miltek sound on these, i have a powerflow fitted but its so drowny?

cheers buddy I am really pleased with it actually, it's very loud when giving it the beans and pops and bangs with the dsg gear change, however its not that bad when just cruising along. I havnt had it at motorway speeds yet so cant comment on that but so far its very good :) The neighbours wouldnt of been too pleased this morning when i got it out the garage at half 5 :p

That little mito looked smart, love the new bumper and exhaust on the leon mate looks lovely.

Thanks mate, I am really happy with the way it looks now. The mito was a nice little car but I couldnt hack the abuse I got from having a "girls" car :lol:

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
So is the hole still in the rear valence for the single exit exhaust?

How much was the section you got from Sere?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Nope, the diffuser mould sticks on top of the origional bumper insert. So the hole is covered up. That is why you have to cut out holes in the insert before you glue it on. The mould was £200 and i ordered a new origional insert too (£30) so that I could prepare it off the car, rather than taking mine off and driving around without it on. It just makes it a lot easier and you can slip your newly prepared one straight in when you fit the exhaust :)

H0dsman

Thats looking great, I think you could even give Alan sugar a few business tips with the deal you got for those alloys haha

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
:D I think he just wanted rid of them as he had sold his car for a TTS and they were taking up space.

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Nope, the diffuser mould sticks on top of the origional bumper insert. So the hole is covered up. That is why you have to cut out holes in the insert before you glue it on. The mould was £200 and i ordered a new origional insert too (£30) so that I could prepare it off the car, rather than taking mine off and driving around without it on. It just makes it a lot easier and you can slip your newly prepared one straight in when you fit the exhaust :)

Cool thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Looks great dude! Must be a killer on insurance though?!

Yeah don't mention it :cry:
It helps though as I have 2 years NCB now by having my own policy previously, instead of the usual "fronting" that people perform by going on their parents insurance as a named driver to lower premiums. I also don't really do a lot of miles a year (5000) as I get the train to Uni :)

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Few little updates :
Fitted the mk6 golf gti metal pedals, along with an ebay foot rest. It really brightens up the interior! ( need to give it a good hoover too)
Wigan-20120516-00119.jpg

Wigan-20120516-00120.jpg

I also cracked out the gloss vinyl when i was bored and vinyled the plastic door card strips.

Wigan-20120516-00121.jpg

I then fitted the chunky leather hand brake cover, it just slips on over the top of the old one. It looks and feels absolute quality, and once again lifts the "cheapness" of the interior.

Wigan-20120516-00118.jpg

Wigan-20120516-00117.jpg

And while I had the vinyle out, i decided to do the front lip on the bumper. It makes the front end look a lot more aggressive, the pictures dont really do it any justice! :)

Wigan-20120516-00122.jpg

Wigan-20120516-00123.jpg

Another sneek peek of the Milltek! Sorry for the bad phone picture quality.
Wigan-20120515-00116.jpg

More updates tomorrow when the induction kit comes and LED number plate bulb holders arrive :)

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
:) Very nice mate.

Cheers :)

Do you have any advice regarding the fitment of the rear spoiler, got mine in the post!

It wasn't that difficult tbh mate, just make sure you scuff up the bonding surface of the spoiler good and proper. Then make sure its clean with the alcohol solution that you get provided.

You can use the glue primer but I didnt bother too as it doesn't really need it. Also attatch the little foam pieces at the ends so it doesnt vibrate against the window. Then just put plenty of glue on the spoiler and stick it on. Dont worry if you don't get it lining up first time as the glue only goes off after an hour so you can move it around :) Secure with masking tape.

Tip: Leave the bootlid up while its setting ( If you can) so that it provides some downward pressure to help it stay straight.