Best 'Budget' Coilovers??

wedgie27

LIL_WDG
Jul 1, 2008
Worcester
Hi Guys

The time has come to drop my car, and am most certainly going to get some coilovers.

Anybody have any ideas of the best budget ones to get? I've seen a brand called 'rokkor' who look fairly good?? :confused:

I am not interested in spending £100's as I do not race the car, it is purely to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and to be able to adjust the height as and when I please!

Thanks ppl!

:rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2008
iv not heard of rokkor, but what ever you do keep away from ebay brands, most people who have bought them have had nothing but trouble. i have got AP coilovers on my cupra, they are a great bit of kit. they give you a nice firm ride, a great drop and improved the handling alot. they cost me about £380 which is very cheap for the standard of kit, and when your after upgrading a big part of the car like the suspension you don't really want to be cutting corners and going for the cheaper option.

how much was you looking to spend?

Wilber

Feb 3, 2010
Belfast
Depends what your "budget" is. You can get eBay specials for less than £200, though most people would advise you to stay away from them due to a few horror stories.

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Got them rokkor on mine they are great tbh and suprisingly comfortable no worse than my standard setup! Came in 3 days fitted the next put the car in the arches and it's fine. They ride as good as the ap's my mate has on his polo.

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Got them rokkor on mine they are great tbh and suprisingly comfortable no worse than my standard setup! Came in 3 days fitted the next put the car in the arches and it's fine. They ride as good as the ap's my mate has on his polo.

Just had a google search and can't find these... Care to share info on where you got them from, and some more info on them.

I certainly wouldn't get the ebay specials, I was going to until I read the reports on them!

Have a look on Venom Motorsport website, loads there!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Just had a google search and can't find these... Care to share info on where you got them from, and some more info on them.

I certainly wouldn't get the ebay specials, I was going to until I read the reports on them!

Have a look on Venom Motorsport website, loads there!

Rokkor are rebranded Racelands. Exact same as the ebay specials

bertrum

be able to adjust the height as and when I please!

With the amount of salt and crap on british roads, I can guarantee that the ebay specials will not be adjustable after very long, unless you clean and regrease them every few weeks. The quality of material used is reflected in the price. Higher priced ones should be greased also, but won't seize unlike the cheap ones.

As said the AP's are very good for the money, but I would also recommend the Weitecs.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
With the amount of salt and crap on british roads, I can guarantee that the ebay specials will not be adjustable after very long, unless you clean and regrease them every few weeks. The quality of material used is reflected in the price. Higher priced ones should be greased also, but won't seize unlike the cheap ones.

As said the AP's are very good for the money, but I would also recommend the Weitecs.

Weitecs and AP's will more than likely seize over time as well, although probably a longer time than ebay specials. Persoanlly, I'd look for a set made of stainless steel. All the sets that are galvanised/zinc coated will last a while, but with the amount of salt and crap on our roads they will still seize over time.

Apr 27, 2008
best budget ones are AP's and weitecs, both are under £400 and are very well made for the price.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I'm not getting into which is better, but everything from the £169 ebay specials to £1500 custom made jobbies will seize.

Stainless steel wont stop it either. Aluminium probably would but I'm not aware of anyone who makes alu coilovers. Best bet is to cover which ones you buy in waxoyl

Apr 27, 2008
the fact that so many people have had problems with them and have problems with them fitting properly, also the ride is ment to be hard as hell. it's strange because you get 2 years warranty with them so if anything does goes wrong with them you can send them back, but is a hassle.i think that my AP's are more comfy than the standard which is a plus too

dicky FR

Jul 26, 2009
Ebbw Vale, South Wales
Ive been running raceland coilovers which I believe are now rebranded for around a year now they have been on both ibizas ive owned and I have not had a problem. The ride is actualy better than the standard setup even though my latest ibiza was only on 10k when I got it and the coilovers had done more than this on my old car.
Your going to hear some scare stories but just imagine the volume that these ebay coilovers sell in compared to the bigger brands.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
the fact that so many people have had problems with them and have problems with them fitting properly, also the ride is ment to be hard as hell. it's strange because you get 2 years warranty with them so if anything does goes wrong with them you can send them back, but is a hassle.i think that my AP's are more comfy than the standard which is a plus too

The only problems I have seen are from people fitting them incorrectly. I haven;t personally seen any fitting problems with the kits. But thats only from what I've seen on here and other forums.
Most other marques are recommending them no end (including Leon owners)

As for the hardness or comfort levels, I'd say thats a personal thing. In some circumstances ahrder is better than soft. All depends what you use the car for.

If yours are more comfortable, that would suggest they are either damped or sprung less than the standard equipment. Now, on the Ibiza, that may actually make the car grip better (note grip, not handle as handling is subjective), but without testing, theres no real way to know.

Personally, I wouldn;t put either on my car as I doubt any of them will offer any improvement in grip levels and IMO both are too cheap to offer myself any handling benefits, but thats not to say that both don't have there place in the market

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
I'm happy with the ride tbh they don't bang when I hit potholes not like standard anyway. They only seize through improper care anyway. £700 avos on my track fiesta have

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members