Best Haynes Manual???

damo toledo

I have a 1.8 20v AUTO Toledo

would the VW passat Haynes manual suffice for this model of car or is there too many differences?

Alternatively is there another model of Haynes which would be better?

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
The Passat one is ok and would cover the engine. Most people tend to go for the golf / bora manual though as the suspension is similar if not the same where as the Passat is different.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I find Elsawin is the best option, you can get a 'dodgy' copy off Ebay or pay for access to the online version. I can't remember how much it is, but you pay by the day and can print off as many articles as you want in that time.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The Mk.2 Toledo is based on the Mk.4 Golf platform, the A4 platform shared with the Leon, Audi A3 and TT, Bora and Skoda Octavia, and the relevant Haynes manuals are 3727 and 4169. Everything in these manuals is relevant apart from bodywork details.

The Passat (Mk.5 covers the relevant dates) is a very different car, built on the B5 platform shared with the Audi A4. Longtitudinally mounted engine, different gearboxes, different brakes, suspension and running gear, different interior and electrical wiring

I have a TDI 110 Toledo and use Haynes 3727. The later Haynes manual covers turbo petrol and PD diesel engines.

damo toledo

Nice 1 Muttley, considering i have an automatic do these 2 haynes manuals cover autos as well?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Both manual and automatic gearboxes are covered, but not in great detail. Modern Haynes manuals don't seem to go into the internals of gearboxes any more. The only topics covered are removing and replacing sensors, the gear linkage details and removing the box itself as a unit. Gearbox oil drain and fill isn't mentioned - not a service item, the boxes are filled "for life". ATF and manual gearbox oil level checking are covered briefly in the first, Routine Maintenence, chapter.

damo toledo

Both manual and automatic gearboxes are covered, but not in great detail. Modern Haynes manuals don't seem to go into the internals of gearboxes any more. The only topics covered are removing and replacing sensors, the gear linkage details and removing the box itself as a unit. Gearbox oil drain and fill isn't mentioned - not a service item, the boxes are filled "for life". ATF and manual gearbox oil level checking are covered briefly in the first, Routine Maintenence, chapter.

Cheers Muttley, i think with regards to the gearbox the main thing was removing and replacing sensors, so thats great, cheers once again :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.