best ibiza mk2 2.0 gearbox

vngtx

ive been reading a few threads that have said the mk2 golf gearbox is better/stronger than the standard 8v mk2 ibiza one, and since my gearbox is just about worn out, i might as well see which gearboxes will fit and give the best driving results. eg would mk3 1.8t ibiza gearbox fit, 6 speed if there is one? a gearbox with hydraulic clutch system etc...

im hoping 1.8t gearbox will fit as it will save me buying another one if i choose to transplant 1.8t engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

skwaggles

vtr btr :)
Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
i got the mk2 golf box on mine. the ratios are only slightly different so thats why they fit ok. with the other boxes you'll probs find they fit but the ratios will be completely different so you may be left with a car that drives like sh*t. :(

skwaggles

vtr btr :)
Jan 27, 2010
canterbury, kent
Mine punches well above its weight. When I spoke to the guy at vw he said the golf box has better ratio's for acceleration and cos the golf had more power, the Ibiza will still have the same top end if not a little more. I'd recommend one. I got mine for 45 quid and had done 78k miles. :)

vngtx

i hope it will do 0-30 in 2 seconds like mine does at the minute :D

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
ive been reading a few threads that have said the mk2 golf gearbox is better/stronger than the standard 8v mk2 ibiza one.

VW has made 5 stronger 020 gearboxes: 2Y, CRY, AMC,CHE and DFQ.

VW has made 6 speed gearbox (type 02s) which is almost the same than old 02A/02J gearbox( for example mk2 cupra 16v), problem is that 02S don´t have sensor for speed in gearbox so you will need to put all 02S inside parts into 02A/02J gearbox.But it is easy mod specially if you have cupra 16v, and also cheap (here is 02S gearbox already under 400eur)

http://pittiplatsch.larsheber.de/Getriebe/6-Gang 02S/index.html

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.