Best new tyres for SEAT Leon 1.8 TSI DSG?

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I need to purchase a new set of all year round tyres (not specifically winter or summer) for my October 2013 Mark 3 SEAT Leon 1.8TSi petrol DSG 5-door hatch in the UK. The tyre size and rating is 225/45R17 91W. My current tyres are the original factory-fit Bridgestone Turanza ER300, and I would be very interested to have some ideas as to how I could improve on these, as these will be the first set of new tyres I have ever purchased for this car.

Last edited:

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Some of the mainstream magazines like Autoexpress have done some good tyre comparison tests, give them a browse.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Bridgestone Turanza surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Everyone here seems to rave about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. I've just had a set fitted on the front and they are very good!

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Everyone here seems to rave about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. I've just had a set fitted on the front and they are very good!
Yes, they do seem to be the tyre of choice by forum members on many VAG forums. Blackcircles seem to have a fairly regular - if not permanent - offer on these; buy two get £15 off, buy four get £40 off. For anyone who’s a Costco member, they also do some good deals on PS4’s periodically.

Always worth having a look at some of the reviews on www.tyrereviews.co.uk for any tyres you’re considering buying.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I use Michelin Cross Climate + tyres for all year and they are brilliant. On 17" alloys, they are around £100 per corner fitted. Used for 2 winters and summers so far, and very happy with them. Last Saturday I drove 300 miles to Scotland in Storm Alex in some very treacherous conditions. There was ALOT of surface water on the motorways and they did an excellent job of clearing it and avoiding aquaplaning.

Reactions: SteveFR

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My current tyres are the original factory-fit Bridgestone Turanza ER300, and I would be very interested to have some ideas as to how I could improve on these..

Just about anything I would have thought. Not a fan.

After looking at lots of options my next tyres will be Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. Never had a bad Goodyear tyre.

Reactions: mdaw1985

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I also have a 1.8 tsi first thing to go was stock tyres. I purchased pilot sport 4. Big difference in grip and handling, great upgrade well worth it..

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
PS4's and Goodyear F1A5's are both very good tyres
These would be my recommendations too. I've got the PS4 on mine currently (225/45 R17), there was a good Michelin deal last year (£75 each fitted). The F1 is around £10 a corner cheaper and might be my choice if I was buying today.

The PS4 has great ultimate grip, good in the wet. Compared to the factory fitted Dunlop SportMax they are a little noisier, slightly stiffer/crashier significantly more grip, the low temp fall off (less than 8c) is more noticeable. All summer tyres struggle in cooler temps, it is quite marked on the PS4. Fuel consumption increased 7% compared to the Dunlops.

Tyre reviews has a PS4 vs F1 vs Conti video here. It is for 225/40 R18 so the usual caveat applies, don't expect the same tyre model to behave the same across different sizes. HTH

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Oh dear, how did you survive those awful (I had them on my 63 plate MK3 2.0TDI Leon) ER300 Ecopia? tyres? My experience with them, they light up the Traction control in the wet even from 30-50mph, had very little grip despite having 6mm left. I guess you will find any other 'big brand' tyres better. As the 1.8TSI is more of a sporty Leon (say compared to the 1.4TSI and 1.6/2.0TDIs) can be Michelin PS4, GY Eagle A5, if on a budget maybe Falkens, Nokian PP or actually perhaps have a look here:

Reactions: Mr Pig

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I need to purchase a new set of all year round tyres (not specifically winter or summer) for my October 2013 Mark 3 SEAT Leon 1.8TSi petrol DSG 5-door hatch in the UK. The tyre size and rating is 225/45R17 91W. My current tyres are the original factory-fit Bridgestone Turanza ER300, and I would be very interested to have some ideas as to how I could improve on these, as these will be the first set of new tyres I have ever purchased for this car.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful advice!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you are on a budget and find them cheap try the maxxis victra sport 5. Also very good tyres.

I bought a set of wheels for our last car which had a set of Maxxis Primetra HP5 tyres on them. I was very surprised by how good they were, up there with the best tyres I've used. When I googled them, basically this is not a budget tyre. It's a high performance tyre that happens to be sold a bit cheaper in the UK. I assume because Maxxis don't have a big presence in the UK car tyre market. They dominate the mountain bike tyre market by the way.

I've just checked and they don't seem to be as cheap as they used to be but if you can get them at a good price I'd recommend them. Excellent tyre.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I bought a set of wheels for our last car which had a set of Maxxis Primetra HP5 tyres on them. I was very surprised by how good they were, up there with the best tyres I've used. When I googled them, basically this is not a budget tyre. It's a high performance tyre that happens to be sold a bit cheaper in the UK. I assume because Maxxis don't have a big presence in the UK car tyre market. They dominate the mountain bike tyre market by the way.

I've just checked and they don't seem to be as cheap as they used to be but if you can get them at a good price I'd recommend them. Excellent tyre.

I've also tried the Maxxis HP5 on an Ibiza and was very surprised, I have to say they performed better that the previous Kumho's & Avon's that were fitted previous, because of which I may try the Victra Sport 5 on my Leon next, I'm sure even the HP5 is better in the wet than my current Dunlop RT2's..

Reactions: Mr Pig

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Wait a sec, I just re-read and it mentions it was all season he was after. Michelin Crossclimates / Good Year Vector4Seasons / Bridgestone A005 Weather Control then? Not sure which part of the UK you are based, but if you're south (London for me) I guess these aren't really required. I did have to drive in small patches of snow before on Bridgestone ER300 and subsequently Potenza RE050A on my Ibiza when it was snowing in London and I managed to move with light throttle light wheelspin and knowing that the DSG loves to shift from 1st to 2nd very quickly. I didn't encounter any hills when it snowed though.
Or if you do live on a hill, somewhere further north where it gets quite cold in winters (below 0 common) and snow does tend to happen, then yes....one of the 3 above. If snow is guranteed to happen, most of winters, then maybe the Nokian Weatherproof, or run one set of summers and one set of winters...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.