Best time to sell a Cupra? What to buy?

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
My beloved Cupra 290 ST is now 4 years old. I am considering selling it but can't make up my mind. Is it a good 'age' to sell it (warranty expires in 10months)? If I sold it, what would I buy to replace it? What would you recommend to consider? Newer cupras seem *much* more expensive. Far from the price/performance ratio from 4 year ago.
I still need a family oriented car giving a proper punch - for a comparable budget - and one with a more forgiving suspension/wheels/tyres on bad roads.
Or should I rather keep it? Would you recommend swapping the wheels for 18" and 225/40 tyres? Did anyone do that? Would those give a tangibly better ride on harsh roads?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Keep it, if you still need an estate with similar power your not going to find it.

I went Cupra 420ps to Cayman S 375ps, 4 seat fwd to 2 seat rwd.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
^^^^ what he said. I know the desire to get the newest/latest/bestest whatever is strong, but if the Cupra still ticks all the boxes and you haven't fallen out of love with it, why change???

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
> why change

Probably only because of the tyres: wheel hop + dreadful sound when hitting even the smallest potholes destroying both the tyres as well the alloy discs.
It's very exhausting driving as if I were on eggshells avoiding every small bump on the road.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
If you're looking for something a bit more compliant, as long as they clear your front brakes, then taking a punt on a set of 18's might be the sensible option. Performance estates are a bit of a niche market where the alterative options are limited and all run at least 19's: Golf R, Audi S4, BMW 5 series Touring, Jaguar XF Sportbrake (OK, maybe not!). My old BMW 3 Series Touring rode well once I got shot of the runflats and handled like it was on rails, but my brother-in-law called it a 'joke' estate and to be fair he was right: the Leon ST is much more of a proper estate if that's what you need.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
At least the BMW 5 series rolls 19" 2xx/40 tyres instead of /35. That is a measurable difference of 15.75mm in sidewall height (235/35 vs 245/40). Cost is in a different league though.
If all (most of) the performance estates are rocking 19" 2xx/35 tyres, I wonder what am I doing wrong? Am I the only one that can't enjoy them fully?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I’ve been impressed with the DCC on the FL Cupra ST on 19”s, especially in comfort mode. However, we also have the dynamic chassis on an M Sport 3 series estate running on 19”s RFT which is even more compliant.

There were some good deals on the run-out F31 330/335D M Sport and M Sport Shadow Edition estates, some with xdrive, albeit 2nd hand prices have been rising over the past 6 months.

Depends on if you can live with a diesel, but the latest generation new S4/S6 are also now diesel.

andycupra

status subject to change
depends what your priorities are.
if its financial, then keep it, you have been through the 'expensive' period of ownership, if its been looked after then it will likely give you a few more years of motoring with little issue for less (both in terms of payments and/or depreciation)
If you want the piece of mind of warranty and a new car, and this is more important than money then look to replace.

did you 'buy' the car or have it on finance PCP etc?

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
I bought it, so it's mine to keep for ages - as long as the frame (I do hear some squeaks here and there), constructions, materials and wear will allow it.

NotificatorZeth

Aug 10, 2018
Estonia
> why change

Probably only because of the tyres: wheel hop + dreadful sound when hitting even the smallest potholes destroying both the tyres as well the alloy discs.
It's very exhausting driving as if I were on eggshells avoiding every small bump on the road.
I am the second owner of my 290 ST and the original owner swapped to 225/40/R18
IMG_20200617_221402__01.jpg
. I think they look good enough and I've never punctured a tyre or had any other damage due to potholes. And we do have a few potholes in spring time.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
The updated Hyundai I30N is looking pretty good, long warranty as well.

Last edited:

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
The i30N is a nice car. I like the interior, the seats, materials seem like a step-up. Also like the 18" factory fitted tyres :)
Slightly stronger engine, a dual-clutch gearbox, no wheel-hop (if there's any) + an estate variant and I take it for a test-ride.

Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
The i30N is a nice car. I like the interior, the seats, materials seem like a step-up. Also like the 18" factory fitted tyres :)
Slightly stronger engine, a dual-clutch gearbox, no wheel-hop (if there's any) + an estate variant and I take it for a test-ride.

They have a 'fast back' which still isn't going to be as roomy as an estate though! They do look like quite big cars though.

They have a sort of DRS boost button function that sounds cool as well. :happy:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.