Best way of increasing the power!

Maximus2000uk

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my Leon FR TFSI by way of increasing the power to make it quicker, etc.

I have read about many different companies that offer a service, but I don't want to start spending an absolute fortune to do it - if I wanted to do that i'd have bought a Cupra, or more powerful car to start with.

What is the best way of increasing the power?

Thanks!

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
Buy a cupra? :lol:

As you have DSG, do your research carefully. A lot of the remaps I have seen advertised are only for the manual 6 speed gearbox and not for DSG. Remember DSG can only take x amount of torque and will be expensive to repair if things go wrong!

Maximus2000uk

Yep, that is the reason I have asked for help on the matter! If you have a manual then you can do all sorts of things, but then with DSG there must be room to increase it by a little bit.

The Golf GTI 30th Edition has 227bhp and that comes with DSG and the same engine as the FR. Furthermore, I can buy a 330 bhp FR in Germany with the DSG box, although it would then cost me about €45,000!

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
The Golf GTI 30th Edition has 227bhp and that comes with DSG and the same engine as the FR.

I think it's actually the same engine as the Cupra btw.

Have a word with Will from P-Torque. He should be able to sort out a remap specially for an FR DSG, and at a good price. (Although a trip 'up north' would be required ;))

Also, you can get an R32 DSG. So that's 250bhp going through it without any problems. I doubt a simple remap will cause you any troubles.

Maximus2000uk

Would I be required to tell my insurance company about the remap, or is it something that can be removed to the standard factory setting (like the Superchips Bluefin product?).

250bhp sounds good aslong as my co2 rating doesnt go up either - I live in Central London so im quite cautious about that!

What exactly is a remap? Can I buy a book entitled 'Remapping for Dummies'?

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
You always have to tell your insurance company about any mods. Otherwise you won't be insured, fairly simple ;)

The CO2 emissions from your car would no doubt increase, but that doesn't really matter. Tax and congestion charge are based on the factory spec of the car ;)

Remapping is changing various things on the ECU to give you more power, probably upping the boost on the turbo and increasing the fuelling to match, but probably a lot more complicated than that :D

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
As you have DSG, do your research carefully. A lot of the remaps I have seen advertised are only for the manual 6 speed gearbox and not for DSG. Remember DSG can only take x amount of torque and will be expensive to repair if things go wrong!

Stage 2 Edition 30 DSG at Awesome GTI on Saturday seemed to be doing quite nicely. And Awesome's 380-odd bhp APR Stage 3 demonstrator is also DSG...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Step 1 - Check with your insurer how much your remap will cost in additional premium, quoting the specified power gain from the Revo/GIAC/APR/Custom Code etc dealer for the 2.0TFSI FR.

Step 2 - Go to your Revo/GIAC/APR/Custom Code etc dealer.

Step 2 - Hand over your £500 or so to the dealer.

Step 3 - Let them flash the ECU.

Step 4 - Phone insurance company to make sure you are covered for the new modification.

Step 5 - Put foot down when driving away from dealer and appreciate the 25% gain in power and torque.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Step 1 - Check with your insurer how much your remap will cost in additional premium, quoting the specified power gain from the Revo/GIAC/APR/Custom Code etc dealer for the 2.0TFSI FR.

Step 2 - Go to your Revo/GIAC/APR/Custom Code etc dealer.

Step 2 - Hand over your £500 or so to the dealer.

Step 3 - Let them flash the ECU.

Step 4 - Phone insurance company to make sure you are covered for the new modification.

Step 5 - Put foot down when driving away from dealer and appreciate the 25% gain in power and torque.
Step 6 - Buy new front tyres on 6000 miles :whistle:

Or is that just me? Mapping the Leon made a HUGE difference, and is the easiest way to get the most power - it also gives the biggest gain too on a BHP/£ ratio... Just expect your general wear and tear parts to go faster than usual if you have a heavy right foot (Tyres, Brakes and fuel are gobbled up much faster!) :happy:

Last edited:

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my Leon FR TFSI by way of increasing the power to make it quicker, etc.

I have read about many different companies that offer a service, but I don't want to start spending an absolute fortune to do it - if I wanted to do that i'd have bought a Cupra, or more powerful car to start with.

What is the best way of increasing the power?

Thanks!

Feel free to e-mail me or call me on 01902 324584 if you would like a chat regarding mapping options :)

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Stage 2 Edition 30 DSG at Awesome GTI on Saturday seemed to be doing quite nicely. And Awesome's 380-odd bhp APR Stage 3 demonstrator is also DSG...

mark, hi.
i know jim said thier 380 brake car had the 2.0tfsi, but what did it start as? i'm assuming an ed30, or did they drop the engine in someting else (another golf perhaps)?
chris

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise