Bi-xenon bulb question.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
As I gather the xenon has a shutter that moves when main beam is turned on, but also has a halogen beam to accompany it? (please correct me if i'm wrong) and I can't help but think how miss matched the beams must look when theyre on together even though I know not many will see them on, also like with the horrible halogen sidelights. So I was wondering if anyone has fitted HIDs to the main beam? I know theres controversy over hids but its bugging me :( .. also does the leon mk2 have the same blowing the wiper motor problem as the 8p a3?
thanks

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Not sure on the bi-xenon bit, but haven't heard any problems about blowing the wiper motors. My A3 8L's wipers do a sweep of the screen when the HID's are turned on lol.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
yeah that's what held me back fitting them on my 8p, and as the leon and a3 share the platform I would suspect that maybe the same problems would arise?? and haha least you know theyre working! .. my old leon mk1 had hid dipped and mains and worked a treat. was horrible going back to halogens after :(

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Yes, the bi-xenons are shuttered. I'm not quite sure what you mean with different coloured beams when they're on together (I assume you mean high and low beams on together)?

The whole point of the shutter on the bi-xenons is so they don't need (or have) two bulbs. A single bulb is used and a shutter directs the beam from the bulb either high or low as required.

I agree that the yellow side lights do look naff when they're on with the bi-xenons but nothing that can't be made better with near-white standard type bulbs, or LEDs if you get ones that don't illuminate the "bulb out" warning light in the instrument cluster.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
Sorry. I'm not the clearest at the best of times. I'll go out and check later but next to xenon beam. There's a halogen beam that comes on with main beam to accompany the xenon? Or have I got this wrong. I'm beginning to question myself now lol. And yeah in regards to the sidelights I've not found led can us ones that work for longer than 30 minutes yet! :(

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Sorry. I'm not the clearest at the best of times. I'll go out and check later but next to xenon beam. There's a halogen beam that comes on with main beam to accompany the xenon? Or have I got this wrong. I'm beginning to question myself now lol. And yeah in regards to the sidelights I've not found led can us ones that work for longer than 30 minutes yet! :(

I believe the earlier xenons used a xenon bulb for dipped beam and a normal halogen for main. Not sure if the dipped beam stayed on with main, nor if there was a shutter. Later xenons (bi xenon) used the same xenon bulb for dipped and main, with a shutter to switch between the two. There was no halogen bulb fitted for either dipped or main.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
No, on the bi-xenon headlamps there are only 4 bulbs:-

1. Main xenon bulb
  2. Daytime Running Light bulb
  3. Sidelight bulb
  4. Indicator bulb

So, no halogen bulb for main beam.

This picture will probably help to illustrate it. 7, 8, 9 & 10 are the bulbs. 4 is a motor.

f4bcf9197c8c581b5351420ac0b3ba0b.png

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
OK, looks like you've just got xenons then and not bi-xenons as per the title of the thread.

The "bi" in"bi-xenon" means a single bulb providing both high and low beam with the use of a shutter.

Last edited:

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
When i flash people though i get a very xenon flash and not halogen style if you know what i mean?? so its making me belive that mine uses both?? They also dance about when starting the car up down and side to side. I dont know if this helps decide what light they are but i thought you could only get a bi xenon on the mk2? ..

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Maybe in the non bi-xenon lights the flashers operate the low beam (xenon) lamp.

Easy way to find out. Take the connectors off the back of your outer high beam halogen bulbs and see if the flashers still work.

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
I forgot to mention i leave my lights switched on at all times as they turn off themselves when the car locks .. So the car constantly has dipped beam before i flash my lights if that makes sense??? My main concern was if anyone knew whether hids would blow my wiper motor like on the a3 or whether i would be ok. Even though i am curious to what lights i have now lol .. Maybe the xenons perform differently on the FL as mines pre fl.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
This is now outside my area of knowledge so probably best left to someone else to answer who actually has a pre-facelift with xenons to confirm what their actual configuration / operation is, and to try and help you with your other question.

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
Hi There

I have the same setup the H1 bulb is made for flashing when the Bi-xenon lights are off, try it, flash the lights in the day time and only the H1's flash turn the lights on the and the shutter and H1 bulbs work and yes you can fit can bus HID kit the outside if you wish and you get much more range when driving on high beam if that makes sense :)

4/4 dirty dervs

Oct 1, 2012
kent
Ahhhh i see makes sense now!! And great thanks allbut55 .. May sound a silly question but can you tell your cornering lights are working when driving? Because im not convinced mine are... And thanks LeonCR for the picture i didnt realise . Thats probably where the inital confusion with the lights function came from then.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.