Big turbo confusion?!?!

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Hi guys as you all.know im running 340bhp on my hybrid set up
Right engine is

-Rifle drilled intergrated engineering conrods. ( the highest spec ones 144/22 or sumat)
-Total bottom end rebuild with calico race bearings, new rings erc etc
- Uprated supertech exhaust and inlet valves and top end rebuild
- 550cc bosch injectors
- Ported v3 manifold
- Sytec fuel pump
- Cr stage 2 hybrid turbo
-All usual stage 2 mods

Engine spec.. Im looking at goin big turbo.. But stuck between gt3076 and the 3071.. The 3076 I cam get much cheaper but usnure if spool rpm on a 1.8t?? Amy one usedthis turbo. Im.looking for around
450bhp and spool/ full boost to be around 4500rpm any later and will bw pointless as I have a 7500rpm limit

Willbe using tubular coated race exhaust manifold
630cc injectors
Apd 340hlp fuel pump
4inch custom intake and rs4 maf

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
How much are you wanting to spend? My mate is the owner at Spool Motorsports Devolpments

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Thats not the question im asking how quick a gt3076 will spool on a1.8t..

I have 1.2k to spend max and I can buy the full kit for this price

-Rifle drilled intergrated engineering conrods. ( the highest spec ones 144/22 or sumat)
- Uprated supertech exhaust and inlet valves and top end rebuild the
- 630 cc injectors
- tubular manifold or maybe log/cast unsure yet
- aps 340hlp fuel pump
- gt3076 63/ar. (journel bearing)
-38 tail wastegate
-3inch exhaust
- Custom 4" intake with rs4 maf
-All usual stage 2 mods

This willbethe spec after I bought the kit

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Well you did say you looking to go big turbo so I ask how much you wanna spend, looks like you have already done your research mate and you no what you wanna go for, I was only asking as my mate does this for a living and could have prob got you an over the top turbo.

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Ohh kinda worded ir wrong cheers.. Tho itsthe spooling I need answers on.. Is gt3076 too big for the 1.8t (spool too late)? .. Ideally u want full boost around 4-4500.. And how much could you get a full turbo bolt in kit from

Turbo/manifold /oil coolant lines/ intake/ waste gate?

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Thanks mate appreciate it.. Send him mt spec and ask about spool up rpms too as im tryin ti gain around 450+bhp And preferably full boost by 4500 on a tight budget.. If the gt3076 (journel bearing) can acheive this then happy days

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Add him of FB I've messaged him everything, you could prob messge him yourself also, just say cousin John messaged you also

dukemaster17

Dec 21, 2015
Greece
Currently i have GT3076R installed on my car with 38mm Tial External. I have full boost at 3,9K - 4K rpm. I like this setup because below that rpm it is very city friendly and when i feel like it on empty roads i just step on it sometimes oohhh and it's so nice when hitting full boost and reaping those tyres.

Just to inform you if you want faster spool below 4k then install GT3071R = 360-425bhp at 3800rpm (and 400bhp want be a problem) but if you want sometime in your life much bigger numbers and the need to grow then install GT3076R = 380-500bhp at 3900rpm once for good.
I know a lot of 1.8T that have this turbo installed and they run awesome.
The difference between 4000 and 4200 is negligible when you have a BT setup.
Just make sure you will install Cast Mani on your car and 630cc injectors if you want more than 400bhp and the respective tune of course.

Also a large intake manifold will help you to see much bigger numbers.

To sum up i have Unitronic mafless tune on my everyday car with GT3076R turbo and i am very happy with my setup but it all depends on what and how you would like to tune your car.

PS: And just think that i did a lot of research and was ready to install 3071 when i decided after a lot of debate to install the 3076.

Last edited:

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Legend this is exactly what I wanted to here. Im goin with the gt3076 as I want over 400 bhp and of it spools at 420-4500 I will be more then happyb.. This is the spec
Hi wondering of you can help me out..the question I have is what rpm would I see full boost from a gt3076 (journel bearing) on a 1.8t

This is engine spec

- Uprated supertech exhaust and inlet valves and top end rebuild the
- 630 cc injectors
- tubular manifold or maybe log/cast unsure yet
- aps 340hlp fuel pump
- gt3076 63/ar. (journel bearing)
-38 tail wastegate
-3inch exhaust
- Custom 4" intake with rs4 maf
-All usual stage 2 mods

Mani fold I think is goin to be a coated tubular ill try pm you a pic see what you think

dukemaster17

Dec 21, 2015
Greece
In my knowledge Garrett turbochargers have Dual Ball Bearings currently installed from factory and not journal bearings ?

Have you found a very old GT3076 with journal bearings on it ?

If you install a DBB Gt3076R you will a 15% faster spooling time and response on your setup.

Tests from Garrett have shown that ball-bearings have up to half of the power consumption of traditional bearings. The result is faster time to boost which translates into better driveability and acceleration.

Also you said about rpm line i see that you have installed Supertech valvetrain i don't know if you have also installed titanium retainers if so, you can move your limiter a little bit safely untill 8000rpm with stock cams and hydro lifters.
Now if you install cams install either IE cams or CAT cams. CAT 3658 seems to have a good all around powerband but stay away from 3652's as those are more top end higher rpms.

CAST manifolds are made of cast iron of course and are used for durability and ability to handle the heat cycles (heat up and down) over and over. These manifolds will most often outlast the car if they are made well. For best results, make sure the runners do not fire against each other and wastegate placement is close to the flange.

Tubular manifolds are made out of mild or stainless steel. When it comes to these types of manifolds, you often get what you pay for. A cheap eBay manifold will often crack within a short period of time after install and should never be used. In that case use only repitaple brands such as Full-Race or 034motorsports. The biggest benefits of these manifolds are that they flow far better and make a huge increase in power with a larger frame turbo (GT30+). But they do sacrifice a little low end power and increase lag a couple 100rpms.

For fuel pump 340lph is enough, i am currently using Bosch 044 fuel pump. There is a problem with most aftermarket intake pumps, they often starve for gas when the tank is less than 1/4 tank. So its best and cheapest to just add an inline pump. Also keep in mind that after you get to around 500whp, you will also be forced to increase the size of the fuel line and also even do a surge tank so you don't starve for fuel.

The only thing that could stop you from having more than 400bhp easily are the injectors.

630cc: 430whp
750cc: 500whp

Use only high impedance, wide angle spray pattern injectors. If not your idle and fuel mixture will be bad. I would recommend Genesis or Siemens Deka.

RS4 MAF is enough for the horsepower you are willing to make. I have chosen Mafless tune due to less problems without a MAF generally. I am not saying that with MAF you will have problems. It's personal preference after a lot of trial and error.
The Motronic 7.x Series is at least 10 years ahead of it's time. You can also use a mafless tune if you have a wideband motor and a MAP sensor of course :p
You want have any issues with ABS/ASR/ESP or mileage and such if you choose a correct tuner.
I chose Unitronic Mafless tune after various tunes with MAF sensors gone bad or off. it's just one less expense to think about for me. Mike from Unitronic tuned my car.

You can expect to see big numbers with your setup if you get bigger injectors than 630cc more than 430whp i mean and if you install a large port Intake Manifold it will easy as pie.:1st:

PS: Also make sure your clutch can handle the power SPEC all the way for me for that amount of power. It handles brutal accelarations and high rpm top ends without even blushing so to speak :lol: And also install a big FMIC that can handle that amount of hp and an oil cooler if you are brutal with your car.

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Nice one ive do e some research into journal vs bb and as far as I cansee in real world times there barly anuly difference in spool maybe 1-200rpms but almost double the cost.. I have a reliable source that builds big turbo set ups andcanget me an exact German copy and says the quality os excellent and will piss these figures.. I was thinking of running 630cc injectors at 4 bar??

As for clutch I will be using alcon rally 6 paddle with solid flywheel and quiffe diff.

Im just unsure what to do with the waste gate as ive never really touched big turbos. Ive got a puny hybrid lol..

If I gcan get the gt3076 to hit at 4500 I will be more then happy.. What psi do you run?

dukemaster17

Dec 21, 2015
Greece
Yes i have facebook i will sent it to you via pm.

I don't see the reason why you shouldn't hit full boost before 4500rpm with all the things you 've put together.
I run 10.5 PSI when i am on city with my boost controller OFF and when i want to have fun i open my boost control and i have 2 more stages at 23.5 PSI and 32 PSI respectively depending what gear i am and the load of the engine at that time and without my AEM's kit in use.

If you are sure about the turbo quality then go for it but only if you are sure about it. I have found ball bearings spool faster than journal bearings but it might be my idea.

The clutch you are about to install is very good so you want have a problem there.

As for the Wastegate your are going to use an External one. So in my opinion you could use a bottom exhaust manifold T3 style with the turbo on the bottom for better cooling purposes and the external on the top side of the manifold. You could use SPA Cast Iron Manifold T3 style and is also cheap (from the point of going big turbo).

In my opinion you are going to need a boost controller also and i don't see the reason for 4bar FPR i believe it's a waste of fuel.

400bhp is what you are going to start the point is how many more bhp are you going to extract from your engine with various fine tuning. For example if you install an IE Cast iron transverse intake manifold you will see a dramatic increase in your bhp and torgue just from an intake and that mani is good because you can install the plenum any side you want left or right. The plenum is modular. You could see 30-40 bhp increase from that alone with your setup and the correct tune of course.
The tune is the Alpha and Omega of every car.
I believe that you are going to make 400bhp at 21-22 PSI for fun. How much more from there depends on you the various aftermarket parts you are going to install and you tuner.

Before i changed my stock intake and some other mods i made afterwards with 630cc at 3bar fpr i was putting arround 380-400 at 26-28PSI on pump gas 91 or 97 octane. That numbers with small port if you install a big port IE, SEM or something similar you will see the same bhp numbers at 20-21 PSI with ignition timing advance.

monk3y303

Jun 16, 2014
bradford
Cheers pal I will be using vpower 99 octane.. I wasnt goin to strap an intake in as of yet was keeping costs to a min and using stock and leaving my block how it is basically bolt on kit. So do you think 450bhp is acheiveable on this set up.. And do I need a electric boost controller or just stick with n75?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members