Black lcr. What colour wheels

Chris-gsxr

Nov 5, 2014
Having my wheels refurbished in a few weeks and I'm still undecided on what shade to have them sprayed. First of all I wanted them done in the standard silver but as time goes on Im thinking more dark grey or black.

What colour do you guys think suites black the best?

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Trouble with black wheels is you can't see the wheels at all in some lights which seems to be a shame as they are such nice wheels. But at least they won't show the brake dust lol.

Last edited:

Chris-gsxr

Nov 5, 2014
I love that gloss black in the photo! But as mentioned in some lights it just doesn't do them justice.

The colour I really like is a bmw wheel colour called shadow chrome.

Apparently tho not a straight forward colour code but more of a process of firstly spraying the wheels black then light dusting of silver over the top.

Anyone on hear had this done to their wheels?

If so pics would be great.

I'm not too sure about it as I can imaging it would be hard/impossible to touch up if they were to meet the kerb one day.

p-twirler

Mar 11, 2011
Kilkenny,Ireland
Mine aren't shadow chrome but they are a metallic anthracite colour.

They were sprayed before I bought them so not sure on what colour code they are but the previous owner sprayed them himself and said it was a BMW colour.

The shadow chrome has more of a shine and tends to shimmer in the light more than mine. If I remember correctly, I think there is a silver LCR with shadow chrome Porsche wheels on here.

Chris-gsxr

Nov 5, 2014
They look good mate. I think I'll end up with a shade similar to yours wheels. I like a little contrast between the car and wheels.

Id be interested to see those Porsche wheels. I bet they look sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p-twirler

Mar 11, 2011
Kilkenny,Ireland
They look good mate. I think I'll end up with a shade similar to yours wheels. I like a little contrast between the car and wheels.

Id be interested to see those Porsche wheels. I bet they look sweet.

Found the thread I was thinking of, it's JMS's Platinum LCR.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=302975&highlight=shadow+chrome&page=17

I think they're shadow chrome which is a touch lighter than black chrome.
I'd say it's a fairly spectacular colour in the flesh!

beastgtir

Dec 26, 2012
I reckon black with a diamond cut face would look awesome! would really update them.

or shadow chrome/hyper silver or shiny anthracite.

Chris-gsxr

Nov 5, 2014
Cheers for finding that thread mate. Those wheels look awesome.

I went to the pain supplier today and had a look through a few different shades and chose to go for a vw wheel colour, glossy anthracite dark grey . Paint code lv7d

Having them done in a few weeks so I'll post pics up on hear for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Ash-Kennard

why are you reading this?
Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Hello mate, I am in the same boat!

Got a black LCR too, with std anthacite falling off the rims (look ****) and bought a set of 5 in red (also in deperate need of a colour change)

I've had a few ideas come to mind.

Carbon wrap/hydrographing

Chrome

Black

Plain silver

Anthacite

Brass

I think they all have potential to look awesome but need someone with photoshopping skills before I commit. Any takers?

I was reluctant to go full stealth black but I think i'm leaning towards it after ND-Photo's post.

I had it in my mind that it needed a contrast to break it up, but I think red calipers might just do it.

Cheers, Ash

LCsTed

Jan 19, 2014
Hampshire
I have seen some really nice colours, most of which are darker shades of whatever, like Sean886 said Cadbury's purple, dark red, etc.

I just want get get my hands on a set of 18' LCRs :/

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
Had mine powder coated in anthracite. Looks a lot better IMHO than the silver and the powder coating is a lot tougher than standard paint.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members