Black Magic Leon Detail

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Had a call from a Nick_c_1986, a fellow forum user, looking to put some sparkle back into his 2004 Seat Leon TDI in the beautiful shade of Black Magic. Having fairly recently had a lot of paint done due to a kind taxi driver using the Nick's car as a brake instead of the middle pedal, I was hoping that at least one side of the car should be reasonably defect free. When will I learn?

Early start to be in Bournemouth for 08:30, Nick had just finished fitting his side skirts. This was how I found it:

DSC03698-1.jpg

DSC03699.jpg

Generally grubby, but nothing too bad. Turned out the kit from the car and proceeded to get washing. At this point I will add that all week I had been watching the weather reports for both details booked in this weekend. Thankfully for the Lotus I did on Saturday (and didn't have the camera :wall: ) cover was arranged by the owner, but that wasn't an option for this Leon. At the last minute we decided to go for it, but I wasn't too hopeful!

Washing the car with rain showers helping, I first soaked the car from the middle downwards, including wheels and arches in Megs APC diluted 4:1. Left that for a short while. Then broke out the Karcher with foam gun, and soaked the car using a mix of Hyperwash, Gold Class and a touch of APC for taste.

DSC03701-1.jpg

Rinsed and cleared out the arches, then soaked with suds again before washing properly with two bucket method, Megs Hyperwash and a couple of mits. Rinsed once more and left wet for claying.

Using Sonus Green and Last Touch for lube, worked my way around the car. It wasn't too bad - bonnet and front wings needing the most attention.

Once that was done a quick wash and rinse again before drying with a Cobra Super Guzzler. Well, I tried to dry it but the rain had other ideas so had a brew while the shower passed before finishing the drying.

Taped up with 3M 3434 and got the paint thickness guage on the case. Knowing that the offside had received damage repair basically front to back, I was expecting to see that reflected in the readings but I didn't get what I thought I would. Everywhere else was actually very uniform, lowest I saw was 112 mics at the bottom of the nearside doors, an average of 120 mics on upper doors, roof and bonnet.

But on the offside (expecting thicker readings) I was stunned to find the paint was all sub-100 mics, the two doors being between 78-90 mics with terrible marks all over that I can only think were left by the bodyshop. The marks were too uniform to be regular swirls, and strangely enough formed a rough circle about the size of a 6.5 inch pad.....

DSC03706.jpg

I returned to the bonnet to start. Using the Metabo rotary with Megs polishing pad I tried Menz PO85RD FF first. Spread and worked for several passes at Speed 1, a couple of sets of passes at Speed 2, before going back to a couple more at Speed 1. Result was an improvement in swirls (maybe 60% improvement), but not good enough and certainly hadn't touched the considerable number of random scratches keeping the swirls company.

Switched to Menz IP PO85RD 3.02 on a polishing pad, same passes - result. Swirls gone, some of the straighter light scratches gone and the remaining few vastly improved.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Before:
DSC03704.jpg

(Sideways 50/50 shot, not the best I admit!)
DSC03710.jpg

After:
DSC03713.jpg

DSC03716.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

DSC03720.jpg

DSC03721.jpg

Onto the sides (getting better with the brinkmann too!)

DSC03725.jpg

DSC03727.jpg

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
On the offside with thin paint, I switched back to PO85RD FF in an effort to very carefully monitor how much clear was being removed.

Start with:
DSC03734.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

Did 2 sets of full passes, measuring approx 1-2 mic's removal after each set of passes. I wasn't prepared to go any further than this and as a result there are a few more marks left than I would have liked. I explained my concerns to Nick who was quite happy with this. It might be possible to lightly polish again in the future if its necessary, but mainly I didn't want to risk clearcoat failure.

Still pretty good, but not what I would have like to achieve there (this photo isn't great for showing whats left, but you can just see some marks near the bottom):
DSC03735.jpg

With the majority of the car done, I put the rotary away and unpacked the PC with 4" light cut pad to do the bottom of the back bumber and the bottom lip of the front bumper.

Then swapped to a 6.5" Finishing pad and applied a layer of Pinnacle XMT glaze. Really racing again time here because while I had been very lucky so far with it not raining, the clouds were getting darker by the minute for a proper downpour.

While the glaze was curing I applied a coat of CG Wheel Guard to the alloys (didn't go nuts on them, Nick is replacing them with a set of polished alloys in the near future so this was for his ease of cleaning in the meantime), dressed the arches with Poorboys Bold N Bright.

Wiped the Glaze off, then applied a layer of Collinite 476s by hand with a foam applicator pad. Whilst that was curing I started to wipe the alloys clean, and then it absolutely hammered down with rain! Ran and hid under shelter for 5 minutes until it backed off. Armed with an armful of pakshak towels, I soaked off the water, and then buffed the wax off. I wasn't sure what effect the rain was going to have, but the finish seemed unaffected afterwards.

Finished by dressing tyres and trim with CG New Look Trim Gel, glass cleaned with Einzett glass polish.

The end results (the sun even made another effort to shine before finally setting for the day):

DSC03724.jpg

DSC03738-1.jpg

DSC03741.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

DSC03744.jpg

DSC03745-1.jpg

DSC03748.jpg

Very satisfying detail - found photos hard thanks to the constantly changing light conditions!

If you are still here, thanks for reading!

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex

Reg u cheated thats a picture of reflections in a nearby puddle... :lol:

Only joking, ;) amazing work again, especially with that sub 100mic...thinner than a nats p3nis that and you still did well with it...

Did the guy say anything when you told him the poor paint job, e.g. going to take it back to get it really sprayed instead of the bodyshop "mopping" the scatches out...?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Puddle! You cheeky fecker!

Nick and I did talk about me doing him a letter saying that the paint is very thin etc so that he can approach the guilty party.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Puddle! You cheeky fecker!

Nick and I did talk about me doing him a letter saying that the paint is very thin etc so that he can approach the guilty party.

:cartman: Thought that might ruffal your feathers that.. but i must say it truly does look like a water reflection, very wet look sealant!

Yeah i think that guilty party needs to repair the damage properly that was "half-a-job" and as you said, even now can cause clearcoat failure and fading of coarse, especially approaching the sunny months (yeah we all live in hope for those again!) UV on un-clear coated paint leads to a more platinum grey colour Leon :doh:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Hmmm lovely job... could you pm me plse on what sort of cost for a clean like that?? on either a Leon or an Alhambra... Cheers....

Nick - You need bigger alloys and colour code your door rubbings...

He the colour coding in the works - some really fat Mercedes split rims to go on too!

And you have PM on its way.

Thanks Gary - appreciate that from yourself.

nick_c_1986

kaizer is in the making
Sep 17, 2005
bmouth
hey guys :)

fantastic job by paul. Very very impressed! would reccomend easily!

In reguard to trims and alloys as paul as already said they're in the pipeline the car started out as a completly standard tdi. should hopefully have the wheels sorted soonish.

i'm going to speak with the solus repair company as paul did say the paint was thin and left in a very very poor condition!

Scamps

Could you please pm me as well on the costs involved.

I have a black magic Leon and i would some similar work done. Very impressed by the pictures.

What area of the country do you cover?

Cheers

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
That's lovely, love the the way the panels appear to bend and flex in the light ..... shame it won't stay that clean for more than 2 seconds though - guess that's the love and hate affair everyone has with black :)

nick_c_1986

kaizer is in the making
Sep 17, 2005
bmouth
well i;m actually on 4 3/4 days and its still pretty clean far cleaner than it normally stays and it has been rained on lol

have a insurance inspector coming to check the paint thicknesses god knows why but i told them the thicknesses so that i can them to redo the clear coat on the repaired areas.

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Im getting a new Leon FR in Black Magic - do you find it a hard colour to keep? Im dreading keeping a polish on it, might be a bitch

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members