Bloody car insurance! Feel like I've been mugged!

nog

Sep 18, 2007
Shropshire
Here's the story:

Test drove an FR TDi (Insurance Group 12) plus 18" wheels a couple of weeks ago; phoned current insurers to find out how much to change vehicles and they quoted £150. No problem with that.

I didn't buy the FR in the end but have now bought a Stylance 2.0 TDi (Insurance Group 9) with Sport Pack. Extra premium quoted for this car is £220!!! :headhurt:

After being passed around several people in several departments for about 25 mins I finally got them to agree to £150, so a partial result you could say.

You might say that I shouldn't have mentioned the sport pack but they specifically asked "Any modifications or options?" so I felt I had no choice but to mention the sport pack. Of course, then I had to explain what a sport pack is (seats/suspension/wheels). It seems as soon as the word "suspension" is mentioned you get an automatic £££ added.

Am I a mug for even mentioning it? How do you guys get on with all the modifications that you have? If a factory option makes this much difference some of you must be paying about a zillion quid a year for your mods?

I've resigned myself to paying the £150 now, but any info/experiences/advice that might save me a few quid at renewal time would be greatly appreciated.

nog

Sep 18, 2007
Shropshire
Cheers UncleFester. I've not heard of them before having been driving round in a skip for the last 5 years. I'll have to give em a go when it's time.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Should people tell the insurance about sunroof, conv pack etc? They came from the factory so the cars not been modified from the factory spec or since leaving the factory??

Muppet

I'm paying 450 for a standard 2008 Leon Cupra TFSi, (35 / full no claims) that's with privilege, however esure seem very cheap for this type of car, quite a bit under 400

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
I told them about all the extras but not yet the spoiler and skirts only through finding time. They ask mods or anything not standard or 'extra' so all upgrades would count. Main reason for me telling them was if it was written off and they came to look at it they could void insurance as not disclosed and I'd be in the s**t 1000k's in debt. Only paid around £80 extra they said it was mainly the wheel upgrade to 18's. I'm 32 with 3yrs no claims as silly bumps meant I lost some few years back but paying £500 & something so rest easy at what your paying guys :)

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
34 is old enough as far as car insurance goes :)

old it is then :cry:

I'm paying 450 for a standard 2008 Leon Cupra TFSi, (35 / full no claims) that's with privilege, however esure seem very cheap for this type of car, quite a bit under 400

i can confirm this.
£340 for me & shmbo, full n/c discount, garaged over night. :D

with bluetooth, convenience & sunroof all declared

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
You chaps are having your trousers pulled down!

Im with admiral

I changed over from my old LC and got £40 refund.

I then insured our other car (Passat Estate) with them and changed to a multicar policy. when you do that they give you a fixed quote for your main car when the renewal is due £199. Result!!

I am however 30 with 12 years no claims living in a low crime area.

One tip though when i put my wife (GF At the time) on my ibiza cupra a few years ago it reduced the cost???

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Am I a mug for even mentioning it? How do you guys get on with all the modifications that you have? If a factory option makes this much difference some of you must be paying about a zillion quid a year for your mods?

I started another thread on this yesterday and with some companies it seems you do have to declare factory fitted options.

The difference in premium for the Convenience Pack alone was £40 on one quote I got.

Think only a few companies are that fussy though at factory fit options, but you must declare wheels, spoliers etc. that could make the car more desirable
or as others have said your insurance could be void.

One tip for younger drivers, put you Mum on the insurance even if she never drives it. I had my mum on my car for a few years and when I moved out tried to take her off. That will be an extra £70 please...

Moneysupermarket.com actually states older drivers as additonal drivers may reduce the premium. Other people at work have had the same experience too.

Lewis_FR

Jul 1, 2007
Tiverton, Devon
Adding my Mum took off approx £150 for me. Also, i was a Labourer and as i bought my TDi FR i changed occupation to IT Support Analyst, which dropped, wait for it, £300 off my insurance. Who'da thought it would make such a difference? Obviously the differences these factors will make on my insurance will be greater than you older folk, i am only 19 after all.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Does anyone know if Privilage are modification friendly? Nothing major, just filter and exhaust.
I tried ringing them earlier but couldn't get through.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.