blower control switch

stuart edwards

hello could anyone give me some advice on my heater / cold air blower only working on the last two settings, its the blower motor switch that will only activate the blower on settings 3 and 4. my vechile is a 1999 tdi 90 with 98000 miles on it, has anyone had the same problem? a switch is £60 but i could really do to isolate the fault and make sure i purchase the right replacement component

cheers

stuart

bmsc22990

May 20, 2004
edinburgh
It will be the probably be the resistor which is faulty. its located in the passenger footwell. take glove box out and you can get to it up on the right hand side. I think its blue with lots of alluminium prongs coming out of it,very common failure.

Cking

Be careful with this one Stu. There are two idetical looking resistor packs in the same area. One is the main blower and one is for the rear heater blower. The part no's are one digit different and the real kicker is the part no's in the parts catalogue were INTERPOSED!!!!!!
I had the same problem about a year ago got the wrong one from the dealer didn't work got the right part no from SEAT HQ went back to the main dealer and double checked on their computer and found the error. I sent an email to SEAT HQ and they said thaks they would look into it. Still cost me sixty quid to find out!
I hope that they would have corrected it by now. Un fortunately I deleated the relevent emails that would tell you the right part no.

Good luck Cking

P.S. you're not the Stuart Edwards who works at Manchester airport are you?

:confused: two resistor packs in the same region! very unlikely! most probable reason for the parts diag showing two is for the different AC and CC resistor packs? or discontinued parts? the resistor pack for the rear unit is mounted on the rear unit in a similar position as it is on the front unit, one reason for this is that the unit is cooled by the air flow from the fan it controls, if the rear unit was being used and the front wasnt the resistor pack in use would get rather hot and burn out fairly quickly! hence why they are mounted on the the heater units they control!
I show two part nos for it! one is a discontinued part and the replacement part nos :blink: the resistor pack was uprated some time earlier, IIRC it was done to allow the fan to run at higher speeds to draw air through the improved pollen filter and mounting bracket when the splash guard was fitted
VW part nos 7M0 959 263 G

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.