blue smoke???

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
Hi all,

I dont know if any oof you have ever had this one, after a run and the vehicle has been idleing for 1-2 mins (cooling down) i get loads of blue smoke out the rear end! now i know what most of you are about to say "Fit an oil catch tank" i'm already one step ahead on that one and fitted one about two weeks ago. I never get the smoke at any other time other than 2 mins ish on idle.

i'm guessing its possibly the turbo seals starting to give up (at 39,000 miles) but i may be wrong?? today on the most recent "attack" i have realised this only occurs when the right wheels are on a kerb or parked on a hill where the right sise is higher than the left??? this may just be coinsodance but it seems a little odd how the 3-4 times this has happened over the past 2 months i have always been on a kerb etc...

anywho, the only other things i can think of are turbo seals and oil is settling in the cooler and only picks up on that angle or its picking oil up somewhere (blocked breather or something)

all suggestions welcome??

cheers all :help:

porterbmx

Jan 10, 2009
nottinghamshire
blue smoke generally means oil is being burned, i had the same problem with my 205 (not a seat but eh..) turned out to be the valve stem seals. but could also be the oil level being high and getting into breather pipes.

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
definately oil burning but no, its not the head gasket, i've already pressure tested coolant systyem and gas tested also?? oil pressure also okay. definately not too high an oil level and the oil is a okay (not too high) plus i have changed oil and filter since the first attack. i'll pull the cooler offat the weekend and have a look in there... may be turbo in the angle i'm parked up at may just be coinsodance??? we shall see??

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Piston rings? Have you done a compression test and a cylinder leakage test on all cylinders?
Theres quite a few possible causes, unfortunately not always the easiest to determine either.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
as someone posted earlier, this has always meant to me that valve seals are likely to be wearing out. I've certainly had blue smoke on other cars and after fitting new valve seals, it's cured.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Any oil in the intercooler? might be worth dropping the thick link pipe and flushing it out with TB cleaner. Cant hurt either way.

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
if it were valve stems seals i'd expect smoke on vacume - decelleration, rings is smoke on acceleration. i am completely smoke free untill i've been at idle for a couple of mins... only done 40k (just)
cooler will be off on sat so will fill you all in on results.

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
if it were valve stems seals i'd expect smoke on vacume - decelleration, rings is smoke on acceleration. i am completely smoke free untill i've been at idle for a couple of mins... only done 40k (just)
cooler will be off on sat so will fill you all in on results.

have you found the problem mate? i got same drama at the min been told could be a breather pipe blocked

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
pull the intercooler off and see if there is any oil in it firstly. if there is then most likely its your turbo mate. let me know what you find

Sep 4, 2012
Rainham essex
Did you ever get to the bottom of this cause I'm having trouble with mine smoking but as you say it's only when I have the drivers side wheels up on the kerb. I left the car round my girlfriends mum and dads on there drive which is nice and level left it there for a week and started it left it running and no smoke. Have parked the car outside my girlfriends house for two days started it up everyday and its smoking again. Gonna try it turned round the other way so that passenger side wheels are on the kerb and see if it still does it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.