Bluefin?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
The difference between a superchips map and revo or apr is night and day.
I'd say a bluefin is approx 60% of the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
Revo are an expensive brand for a reason. They are pretty much unmatched in reputation. They do so much research before release of there maps to give optimum performance within tolerances. There remaps are aggressive driver focused remaps for ultimate performance.:) doesn't mean to say parts will fail though

I would say a more aggressive map is better on a car with better internals like the cupra r, when it comes down to a fr or sport tfsi I would rather have something at 80% of maximum tolerance than say 95%.

I have had bluefin stage 1 for a few months and the change is unbelievable from 185bhp to what it is now (?) is amazing the noise from the p-flow and exhaust changes drastically, smooth torque delivery from 1000 rpm to 7000+ rpm does not slow down or stop like the standard map the engine keeps going.

thumbs up for the bluefin from me. :D

MPG def improves I have seen plus 8mpg doing 70 to 80mph, I used to get 30-32 and know i get between 38-40mpg on motorways, steady 40mph in sixth gear gives 45 to 50mpg where before i was lucky to get 40mpg

but if you want the maximum from your engine and you do not mind pushing it to the limit REVO :funk: all the way everything else is just second best.

Be-aware of other tuners who do not modify fueling to well in the higher rev range! (you get what you pay for)

Thats just my opinion.

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
The difference between a superchips map and revo or apr is night and day.
I'd say a bluefin is approx 60% of the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone

Interesting.

Have you had a Bluefin? vs Revo on the same car? ( Not trying to pick an arguement, just geniunly interested)

My 2.0 TSI is Bluefin stage 1, and my mates mk6 Golf GTI ( exact same engine) is Revo stage 1. There is nothing between us. I would even go as far to say 0-60 bluefin will win as the Golf seems to deliver all its power in one go and more often than not spin up the wheels a bit more than mine

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
Interesting.

Have you had a Bluefin? vs Revo on the same car? ( Not trying to pick an arguement, just geniunly interested)

My 2.0 TSI is Bluefin stage 1, and my mates mk6 Golf GTI ( exact same engine) is Revo stage 1. There is nothing between us. I would even go as far to say 0-60 bluefin will win as the Golf seems to deliver all its power in one go and more often than not spin up the wheels a bit more than mine

Glad you mentioned this as I wanted opinions of someone who has tried them both. Although I want lots of low down power, I think it will cause too much wheel spin as I have DSG. What do you think guys?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Interesting.

Yeah had both on my last fr Tfsi I had bluefin then went revo and the difference was massive.
On my R had bluefin and apr and the difference was much more noticeable than on the fr.
The reason I tried another bluefin was the same reason everyone does warranty.
Not tried it on a tsi car but I found superchips very peaky and all boost from 3 to 5k them poor after that.
Don't get me wrong when I first installed bluefin I thought what an improvement and thought it was great for a few weeks until I started picking fault with it then had revised maps from superchips and it went downhill from there.
Would I buy another bluefin?
Never in a million years.

Sent from my iPhone

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
Yeah had both on my last fr Tfsi I had bluefin then went revo and the difference was massive.
On my R had bluefin and apr and the difference was much more noticeable than on the fr.
Not tried it on a tsi car but I found superchips very peaky and all boost from 3 to 5k them poor after that.
Don't get me wrong when I first installed bluefin I thought what an improvement and thought it was great for a few weeks until I started picking fault with it then had revised maps from superchips and it went downhill from there.

Sent from my iPhone

Hmmm. I have a tfsi FR. Had bluefin on my golf 2.0 tdi 140. WasNt aggressive enough on that but I'm thinking with dsg I get a lot of wheel spin anyway so anything like revo would just be unbearable.

Also bluefin £365 Revo £600. HUGE difference!

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011

Sent from my iPhone

Fair enough mate.

Like you say the bluefin is a massive difference from standard, but 0-60 there is nothing in it on the tsi. However that probably doesnt tell all the story as Revo may well be better at pulling through the gears with extra hp and torque where it isnt traction limited. I will have to try and get some 3rd gear pulls when I see him next. All I can say is that I am very happy with my car atm, and in a few months I will be going stage 2 anyway, either Revo or APR :)

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Don't get me wrong for the money and the switch ability bluefin is great.
Just doesnt seem to agree with ever car lots of people enjoy bluefin but there's a few that don't.
You could argue every tuner has good and bad reviews.
The main thing is that your happy with the software you run. Also bluefin has the 7 day money back policy so you can't lose really.

Sent from my iPhone

Al

Aug 29, 2005
For me, getting feedback/feedforward from those who have or had the code is important. Several Bluefin customers give or have given some pretty negative comments about Bluefin code and that speaks volumes in my opinion.

In my experience logging cars, the way Bluefin maps behave is somewhat unusual, boosting very late and for a short time, and when it does, it doesn't boost that hard - and it seems there are umpteen flavours of the code out there for the same cars. Several people have moved from Bluefin to another code and have been much happier with the move, like Kev above.

For me, adjustment is a great thing and several companies allow you to swap settings from mild to extreme for different modifications and scenarios (road/track). The whole "REVO is bad for your clutch" thing is a lot of **** - the first thing some people do with a REVO switch is hoy the settings up to max past what is recommended without knowing what it is doing the car and then drive it like a :w4nk: - truth is the hardware is more prone to fail based on driving style than anything else and that on newer cars with more sensible drivers and newer hardware, that doesn't happen. Any remap/uprated performance software will put additional stresses on standard components, including and especially the clutch.

Buy your code based on your needs - ie Location, Price, Support, Adjustability, Reviews, Power/Torque delivery, Performance etc etc.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2012
southampton, UK
So a revo map if driven sensibly will be ok on the clutch. I'm not looking tk smash through the gears at every set of lights put nice to jave more power if needs be and better mpg

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Revo code can be set to be "mild" as well as "hard". When you get it done, tell them what you want and they will set it up for you that way. That way you have the option to dial in a bit more if you want it based on recommendations from Revo on the car and the modifications it has.

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
So how late does bluefin boost on a 2.0 tfsi. The op says its quiet peaky low down

Mar 3, 2012
southampton, UK
Revo code can be set to be "mild" as well as "hard". When you get it done, tell them what you want and they will set it up for you that way. That way you have the option to dial in a bit more if you want it based on recommendations from Revo on the car and the modifications it has.

Oh i see. Might just save abit longer and get the revo then. As long as i can choose a mid range map. Great info guys

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
So how late does bluefin boost on a 2.0 tfsi. The op says its quiet peaky low down

its mild boost to 3000 rpm but more power than standard getting there, then loads of boost to about 5500 rpm and it tails off slightly to 7000 rpm, its not dramatic in any dip in torque/power like kevs fr says it is maybe you had an old map, maybe there revised maps now :shrug: it could have been your car who knows (i dont work for them), but i would say theres gona be a difference from a map made 4-6 years ago to one made now.

but your never gona beat a revo map for top end power with a bluefin simples (bluefin is not aggresive its progressive in comparison) like AL said look at your needs first, bluefin is a more everyday driveable power some may disagree.

Last edited:

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
its mild boost to 3000 rpm but more power than standard getting there, then loads of boost to about 5500 rpm and it tails off slightly to 7000 rpm, its not dramatic in any dip in torque/power like kevs fr says it is maybe you had an old map, maybe there revised maps now :shrug: it could have been your car who knows (i dont work for them), but i would say theres gona be a difference from a map made 4-6 years ago to one made now.

but your never gona beat a revo map for top end power with a bluefin simples (bluefin is not aggresive its progressive in comparison) like AL said look at your needs first, bluefin is a more everyday driveable power some may disagree.

keV had the bluefin on his cupra R. I think he means in comparison to apr/Revo. It tails off

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
On my R the bluefin tapered off earlier than stock. Although initially felt much stronger below 5.5k
The car seemed to go into over boost or safe mode in 3rd 4th 5th when pulling hard above 4k revs don't know why as it was boosting that hard.
Superchips wanted to blame my fuel pump saying it was faulty on a 4000 mild car!! Don't think so
Same fuel pump and running much more power no problems.

Sent from my iPhone

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
What's the best choice for a map below £400. Don't really want to spend any more than that. I really do have to watch the penny's at the moment as also buying btcc kit, armrest and just done the 40k service. Ouch!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Forget about the BTCC/Aero bumpers and get the skirts and spoiler instead. Money saved will buy a decent map and something else fruity to go with it :)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.