Bocanegra returned less than 5 minutes after leaving the stealers! UPDATE: 07/06/10

MST

Mar 15, 2008
So there I was at 07:00 this morning all excited after waking up knowing that I was due to pick up my brand spanking new Boc from SMC Windsor, but little did I know what was in store...

I got to the stealers little after 10:00 and there she was, all white and shiny sitting on the forecourt, I went in and did the customary paperwork etc and even went out and had a quick look around her; certainly no glaring imperfections, everything seemed to be in order and I went back in and signed to say that I was happy with it and paid the balance on my card, what a mistake!

I'd only just left the forecourt and gone 100, maybe 200 yards down the road when my Girlfriend said "what's that?" and pointed to 3 rather large scratches on the dash where the sun was shining, at this point I wasn't really sure what to do and so I sharply turned back around and drove straight back onto the forecourt. I went back in and told the salesman who came out and had a look and said "oh I'll have to get our trim guy to look at that" whilst picking flakes of plastic off the dash! As he did this I noticed even more scratches appearing on the dash which I also pointed out to him, I then thought that I best have another look around and by this time a chap with a digital camera and the manager had turned up, I then found a black scuff mark running along the edge of the driver's side door that looked as though it had been opened into something, a chip out of the rear of the bonnet and worst of all the black and white paint on the front bumper had bled into one another!

Added to the fact that the dash trim already looked as though a football team had been tap dancing on it I was not happy, and after several offers of various repair options I turned round and said "I don't want it", the salesman was clearly not very happy with this and started having a bit of a strop, this was after he'd successfully polished out the scuff on the door. My Girlfriend and I went back into the office and awaited the salesman. He came back in and said "so if I can get the dash and the bumper repaired do you want it?" I had begun to very politely say "to be honest no I don't" when he cut me off and said "do you want it or not, yes or no?" "I've got to ask haven't I" "If you don't want it say no" in rapid succession and fairly aggressively. I confirmed that I wanted a new Bocanegra and would have a red one if necessary as long as it had bluetooth and the convenience pack, but affirmed that I would not be paying for the paint.

I've been given 07 plate Altea which I have been using since PX'ing my old Leon FR a couple of weeks back which quite frankly is a pile of scrap, the interior is filthy though the drive is ok. I just felt the need to vent, am currently awaiting a call to see what's going on, as it stands they have my old FR, my money and have given me a courtesy car with a £1500 excess!

...[:@]

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Jeez mate!!! No that is a serious bit of bad luck. You need to put pressure on them to repair all the damages on the vehicle at their expense and if they refuse take it up with SEAT UK. On the other hand if you are prepared to wait for one to be re-built then by all means go for it and push for a discount too of some sort. Once again, sorry to hear of your bad luck mate. I just picked mine up on Saturday and thankfully no problems and I am very happy with it.

MST

Mar 15, 2008
Yeah I saw the thread you posted about it mate, I guessed that they'd probably been delivered in the same batch, I got a call last Thursday to say mine would be in on the Friday. I see what you and TubbyTwo are saying about repairs but from my point of view it's a brand new car and it shouldn't need any, I accept that during transit you may get the odd stone chip etc along the way and I said this to them, but the state of it is just ridiculous. I certainly don't think I'd need to exert any pressure on them to get it repaired, but the point is that I shouldn't have to.

For all of it's faults the Altea I've been using, which has obviously been well used as a family car, hasn't got a mark on the dash!

Apparently the manager was on the phone to the area manager as a I left and there was mention of contacting the factory in Spain, but as I have yet to receive a call I'm still none the wiser :(

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Bit harsh on the dealership TBH, I had a couple of teething problems with mine and it all got sorted and is pretty much perfect now (new windscreen and air bag problems).

Rather than having to wait for a new one i'd let them fix it personally.

It all depends on the attitude of the dealership. If they bend over backwards to get it sorted thats cool. If they get shirty as they seem to have done, then possibly give them more stick. But rubbing them up the wrong way from the get go is not doing to do anyone any favors.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
shocking to be honest! i would have kicked off aswell, you buy a new car you expect it to be perfect!
only problem i have had with mine is the rear numberplate fell off
i foned my dealer up who made me another one for free, and did nothing but apologise!

but like mardon says, if they are are going to bend over backwads for you then its not so bad, bit of an annoyance if anything.

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
To me if you are buying a new car then it has to be new
i would demand they source me a car without imperfections if they dont then i can always take my money else where end of story

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
the bleed on the black/white could be fixed relatively easily...

The dash would worry me a little more..... wouldn't be happy with a plastic repair, if I was in your shoes I'd be tempted to ask them to replace the dash??

Wouldn't that be an easy solution?? :shrug:

MST

Mar 15, 2008
Well I've just got off the phone and they have found one with the options that I've ordered due into the country soon, but they haven't been able to speak to the manager at the dealership it has been allocated to, nor have the SEAT Dealer Support Centre, so I've just got to wait for them to get back to me.

I don't see as I've done anything to rub them up the wrong way, quite the opposite in fact, and even if I have it's me that's forking out £17,000 in cash for the pleasure, so to a degree I think I'm entitled to.

john-e-big-guns

john-e-big-guns
Mar 29, 2010
Lancshire
www.flickr.com
Stick to your guns..and say that you will only eccept a replacement in perfect order...any new motor should be inspected by the salesman[witch in your case he did'nt or was keeping 'Stum' about the damage] my salesman walked me around mine checking everything was ok before we did the paperwork...should be all part of the service

ibiza matt

this "stealer" is round the coner from me and ive been in there only once, they all seem realy rude and that you are an incovenience, there parts department was rubbish too..

MST

Mar 15, 2008
My Dad and I have always used Spur in Hampton Court/Wimbledon but they were unable to get me a Boc until September, plus I would have lost out on the £1000 loyalty discount, up until now I thought that SMC had actually been quite good, we'd been in there before but had been put off as they were quite pushy, but on this occasion they'd been fine.

If they can get it sorted fine, but I certainly won't be using them again for servicing etc, let alone buying another car.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
The dealer should have never offered you the car in that condition, they must have spotted the damage pre-delivery and should have repaired it before you ever saw it. Had they done that you would have been non the wiser and happy with your new car.

As it is I would push for a replacement car, if you are like me you will probably never be happy with the car knowing the dash has been removed and replaced.

Good luck mate.

M3rta

Mar 20, 2010
man that's a nightmare i hope they get it sorted for you the nice way without having to push the guy's over there for a solution.

MST

Mar 15, 2008
if you are like me you will probably never be happy with the car knowing the dash has been removed and replaced.

You've hit the nail on the head exactly, I'm in the fortunate position of being able to buy such a car outright and when I'm spending so much of my hard earned money I don't want it to be on a car that's I know has been butchered, surely that's for me to do when I get it :p

Even if I do end up getting a replacement (fingers crossed) I still think that I should be compensated for the inconvenience, any suggestions?

Last edited:

Red FR

It has been said elsewhere but I would suggest that you formally reject under the Sale and Supply Goods Act. I have successfully done it 3 times, it is a bit nerve racking but worth it in the end.
You need to put in writing straight away, dont get fobbed off with letting them fix it, nor that its down to Seat to sort out, in law your contract is with the garage and not Seat.

If you ring up Consumer Direct 08454040506 they will be able to advise.

Good Luck

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
you are right to be fumming mate, i defo would have been! When i worked for toyota as a salesman a few years ago, all cars are pre-checked and the sales manager would never have allowed me to send out a car in that condition. It would not have been worth the hassel and bad comeback you would be sure to get! My Toyota dealership were sh*t hot at this in my opinion. So in relation to your car, no way should you have recieved it like that - reject! I rejected my 207 gt a few years ago, its not a nice proceedure, but sometimes you have to. I'd let them source you another but if that is too long, then ask for a refund and then dont use them again. You should never accept second best matey!
p.s Really sorry for you! it should have been a great experience and exciting day not a shitty one - sorry!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members