Boot latch doesn't work/Seat approved used warranty

Feb 12, 2023
Hi all, purchased Seat Leon 2018 plate in 2021 with 2 year Seat Approved Used warranty and recently noticed that my boot latch no longer puts itself back into position after being used. Sometimes the boot doesn't open as well and takes several attempts. I called the dealer and they informed me that they would need to do a diagnostic which is £120 to determine if it is eligible for warranty or not, the issue I have is that it's obviously a mechanical failure so it should be pretty easy for them to say yes it is covered or no it is not covered. If I am paying £120 just to be told it is not covered, I would rather take it to an independent place and get it fixed for less. Any thoughts on whether this is something likely to fall under Seat Approved Used warranty?

Thanks.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I presume its all component cover which means if the latch 'fails' its covered but the detail is in the word 'failed' (like most extended warranties). I think from reading other posts some time ago the issue is one of removing the latch and lubrication of the pivot(s) which cures the problem. My supplying dealer wanted £120 diagnostic charge for the warranty issue of the infotainment system rebooting as it might not be warranty!! :mad: Up yours I say so took it to the dealer which serviced my last Leon instead who updated the software under warranty.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
My 2018 Leon FR boot 'handle' occasionally sticks in the open position when the boot is opened, but just needs a tap to return. Even if the 'handle' is left in the open position the latch still operates. Seems to be just the handle sticking, not the latch mechanism.

Will develope into a greater problem in time?

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
My 2018 Leon FR boot 'handle' occasionally sticks in the open position when the boot is opened, but just needs a tap to return. Even if the 'handle' is left in the open position the latch still operates. Seems to be just the handle sticking, not the latch mechanism.

Will develope into a greater problem in time?
Remove and lube should sort it.

Jan 18, 2022
I had this exact issue at my last service.
My local SEAT dealer, SMC of Newton Abbot, who are excellent, diagnosed it without any charge. Then they replaced the handle free of charge under the all-in warranty.
More recently I had a problem with the central locking on the drivers door and again they diagnosed and fixed this totally free of charge under the all-in warranty.

I'd suggest you try a different dealer to the one insisting on the £120 diagnostic charge!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi all, purchased Seat Leon 2018 plate in 2021 with 2 year Seat Approved Used warranty and recently noticed that my boot latch no longer puts itself back into position after being used. Sometimes the boot doesn't open as well and takes several attempts. I called the dealer and they informed me that they would need to do a diagnostic which is £120 to determine if it is eligible for warranty or not, the issue I have is that it's obviously a mechanical failure so it should be pretty easy for them to say yes it is covered or no it is not covered. If I am paying £120 just to be told it is not covered, I would rather take it to an independent place and get it fixed for less. Any thoughts on whether this is something likely to fall under Seat Approved Used warranty?

Thanks.

Link to Seat’s Approved Used warranty booklet below;

The diagnostic fee should be refunded if the defective boot latch is deemed to be covered under Seat’s Approved Used warranty. If the fault / defect isn’t covered, then you would remain responsible for paying that fee.

You’ve not said what level of cover you’ve got under the Approved Used warranty - i.e. if it’s All Component cover or Named Component cover. If it’s All Component cover, the relevant wording - on page 10 of the warranty booklet - is circled on the screenshot below;

IMG_0347.jpeg

If your Warranty is limited to Named Components rather than covering All Components, the relevant clause (worded differently, but the intention is the same as under the All Component section) is on page 14 - see screenshot below;
IMG_0348.jpeg

Mar 22, 2022
FYI I recently had the same issue on a 2017 Leon and Seat regarded it as 'wear and tear' when asked if it was covered on the warranty.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.