Bosch MAF design

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
Been researching MAFs and designs and bit confused.

took a picture of my MAF and compared it to the Bosch diagram in the office Bosch spec sheet it looked wrong.

On the bosch white paper it shows auxilary temperature sensor number 8 but on mine its not there. Anyone know if this is an optional thing and not fitted on TDI leons or case of mine being missing. very odd

diagram.jpg

maf.jpg

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
couldbe weird through as the pins that are sticking out are push connectos so you can esily splice a wire into it. Looking at the diagram its mounted on the outside which seems resonable as its a sensor.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
why would you want to?

You have an inlet temp sensor elsewhere, so the inlet pre turbo is irrelevant.

if you had an NA car with a maf, then it would need the sensor.

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
ibizacupra said:
some diesels do have ait on MAF.
some early non turbo's too I think.

weird that the ones with and without fall under same model according to Boschs document, in a way kind a worrying as to if you get the right one in.

its amazing how many makes of cars get problems with Bosch mafs, saw a alfa website recently on same issue and how to change to a pierburg.

Could also explain why Ford got rid of the bosch MAFs on their 1.6 Focus.

Though my wifes 1.8 with a Bosch MAF has run fine for 60K now and with a K&N which has been reoiled twice as well.

its all a big conspiracy by VAG I tell you :lol:

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
they got rid of the MAF all together. When i had a 1.6 ford focus as in the leons , etc just after the air box straight piece of large pipe and the MAF sat in there. This was a T reg 1.6 focus. Friend of mine bought a 1.6 52 Plate focus and where mine had the maf its just a piece of piping only now. They seem to have substitued for fixed values. But only on the 1.6s as far as I know.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members