Bought a Cupra to go with the 190tsi, is this vibration a characteristic?

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Been on the forum for 8 years because Mrs Mustard had an FR 1.8tsi and currently an FR 2.0tsi.

It was time for my 340i touring to go, and because I've always thought the FRs felt so much more light & agile than the beemer I thought I'd replace it with a 2019 Cupra hatch.

The car is pretty much vibration free except when at around the 70mph mark, when there is a noticeable high frequency vibration felt through the steering wheel, pedals and seat.

It makes no difference which gear or mode I'm in and the car has new Yokohama Advans all round.

I have read that owners who have done the dogbone mount mod experience more vibration, but I don't know if that's at all speeds. Not sure if i would be able to tell if the previous owner had done the mod by looking underneath.

I realise it's impossible to diagnose over the forum, just wondering if someone had experienced something similar.
Maybe just a characteristic of the Cupra.

Anyhow, once I get to know the car better I'll post a comparison review between the 190tsi and the Cupra as I know the question has been asked on here before, including some dragy, which I think may be closer than some will think.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Been on the forum for 8 years because Mrs Mustard had an FR 1.8tsi and currently an FR 2.0tsi.

It was time for my 340i touring to go, and because I've always thought the FRs felt so much more light & agile than the beemer I thought I'd replace it with a 2019 Cupra hatch.

The car is pretty much vibration free except when at around the 70mph mark, when there is a noticeable high frequency vibration felt through the steering wheel, pedals and seat.

It makes no difference which gear or mode I'm in and the car has new Yokohama Advans all round.

I have read that owners who have done the dogbone mount mod experience more vibration, but I don't know if that's at all speeds. Not sure if i would be able to tell if the previous owner had done the mod by looking underneath.

I realise it's impossible to diagnose over the forum, just wondering if someone had experienced something similar.
Maybe just a characteristic of the Cupra.

Anyhow, once I get to know the car better I'll post a comparison review between the 190tsi and the Cupra as I know the question has been asked on here before, including some dragy, which I think may be closer than some will think.

Cheapest thing first - I would try swapping your wheels around - front to back. See if the vibration changes/moves? If one bad wheel balance I would expect the vibration characteristic to change if changing the wheels front to back. It's possible you could have more than 1 bad wheel in which case this wouldn't change.

If its speed related, that would suggest something in your drive line, so either wheel balance/tyres, brakes, bearings or drive shaft.

Reactions: Mr Pig

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm just really throwing this into the mix as I have no experience of driving a Leon Cupra at normal speeds:- what was the issue that prompted some people to retrofit the harmonic damper from the same age Audi S3 to Leon Cupra rear subframe area?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Why only the rear axle?
After many years of dealing with manufacturers and tyre lanes
Generally - vibration felt immediately from low ish speeds is front wheels.
The rear wheels slightly out of balance seems to show up after around 60mph.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It's not just balance that can cause issues on wheels. I had a tyre that 'twisted'. You couldn't see it with the naked eye, the tyre was balanced but it caused a vibration. I found it by moving the tyres around. I've also had back tyres that were feathered on the inside edge which also caused vibration. That was visible. That was on a Golf GTD which has essentially the same rear suspension as the Cupra and apparently it's a known issue.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
It turns out, according to an MOT advisory that the front inside wheel was 'slightly distorted '.

Hopefully that was the cause of the vibration. Will find out tomorrow when I get it back from the wheel refurbishers.

Because the heating process to straighten the buckle (which is on the outside edge) will discolour the polished edge, I'm told, the wheel also needed a refurb.

Which is fine with me as there was some curbing and the garage I bought the car from 2 weeks ago are footing the bill.

Reactions: Mr Pig
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.