brake advice following return to dealer

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
got my fr tdi just under 2 months ago, and a few weeks ago my brakes seemed to go overnight and i had some problems with my handbrake. my brakes used to be very sharp and then overnight they went to being quite spongy and lacking bite, they still work but not as good. the handbrake also seem to have problems on hills or slopes with it not holding, even when i put the car in gear and i was getting a grinding noise using my brakes

anyway just been to the dealers today for them to look at this as well as fix the rear washer jet not working as well.

having looked at it they could not find any mechanical faults with the brakes, and they tested the handbrake and said it all appears fine. i have not had chance to test the handbrake yet but the brakes still don't feel right and sometimes i don't have the confidence in them i had when i purchased the car

when i get the chance i will get the pads off and give them a clean and such, but has anyone had this before and any advice?

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i remember way back, so things may have changed or i miss understaood what i was told;
that they could measure the pressure they placed when pressed and needed to be x for mot pass

as said could be wrong or out of date, so sorry if case

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
well the brak fluid i don't think has been done for about 1 yr, but i don't see how that would cause the brakes to go so quickly which would point to a mechanical fault but they said it looked fine

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
handbrake is mechanical, pulling on the caliper piston itself via internal cam arranegment. the external lever arrangement can seize on them tho, but is checkable on inspection and moving the lever by hand (pulling it down), whilst checking the wheel stops rotating whilst doign said.

spongy brakes sounds more fluid/air related, ot seals in one of your pistons somewhere.

If you pump the pedal up does the pedal sink with constant pressure? (engine ofF)

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
ok having given it a quick go, the resistance seems to be higher the more the pedal is pressed in. i will say the overall movement of the pedal seems to be kinda short, this is because i leave myself plenty of braking room and haven't had to brake hard since i got the car

thats the way it seems to be anyway and its been about a year since the brake fluid was done apparently according to the manual, so i wonder if its maybe condensation in the pipes and it needs a change

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.