brake fade

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
ive got the green light for new brakes from the long haired accounts manager and am pretty much set on getting 345 cupra brakes. just want to know how resistant to brake fade is the standard setup

I do a fair amount of track work, but cant justify spending too much on anything bigger,
My initial thouughts were for cupra brakes, ferrodo ds2500 pads(although i cant find any for the cupra??) and braided hoses with some motul super dot 4.

I was happy ish with the braking power on my 312 discs but the brake fade is horrific, abd from high speed were just a little over worked. At the ring today even my wife commented on how early i was having to brake after a few laps even with a cooloff and nice drive to cool them down between laps,

basically i wanna be able do a few repeated without having to wait for the brakes to cool everytime

Last edited:

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I think you should be fine mate with your planned set up. My brakes are very resistant to fade. I use them hard often with just standard pads and don't notice any fade at all.

The ferodo pads you are looking for, try looking for Mk5 R32 pads or 8P Model Audi S3 pads as the Cupra shares its brakes with these two cars.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on how you get on with the new brake set up.

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Ferodo DS2500 pads for the R32 will fit the Cupra brakes ok, but finding them is another matter, speak to Badger Bill, he's waiting for a quote back from ferodo about these...

RobRoy

May 14, 2008
Denmark
I gave my cupra brakes a very good workout on the track, and experienced almost no fade at all. At the end of the day, the heat had warped the discs instead though. So, no fade, but a tendency to overheat till the discs warp. :(

I will fab up some sort of ducting kit before taking it to the track the next time. :) You should consider doing so as well. It will help the brakes to last a lot longer.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
im tempted to that as well. as well as that im quite tempted to take the dust covers off. nt sure if that is the best idea though.

Did you put your handbrake on your car after the lap, as that will warp your rear discs

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
the discs fade very easily in my opinion which in turn gives break fadedue to the massive amount of friction cuased by the warped disc. standard brakesare "OK" if you dont push the car as hard as it should be pushed.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
thanks mate, ive heard quite a few stories now of people warping 345mm discs on their cars so instead ive opted for a 6 pot 365mm two piece brake set. just in the process of paying etc.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Think it comes down to your driving style also. Some people can manage to get most all brake setups to fade after some time on track, where as some others will not has this issue.

Over the years I've tried various setups of brakes for track use (OK not on the Leon) but only on one setup did I really have issues. This was down to having some rather nasty EBC pads installed.

The Cupra setup does appear to be a good alround package.

Fish

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.