Brake issue when reversing

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
Right then, a problem has arisen with the brakes on my tolly v5. All the discs and pads were changed in January and they all still appear nice and healthy. The stopping performance is still good. However, the brakes have begun to graunch extremly loudly when I reverse, and occasionally sligthly graunch when moving forward at low speed (they might also do this a bit at higher speeds but just get drowned out by other noise maybe?) The noise appears to be coming from the rear of the car and is brake related. Any ideas what the fault may be?

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Mines dont graunch just more of a drone/whine when I reverse out the drive first thing in the morning. They are very prone to rusting up quick in the rain too when left for a while, a couple of hard brakes usually cleans that off though. Sounds like your problem is different though if you're also hearing them whilst driving forwards, could they be sticking on slightly or something to do with handbrake adjustment?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I had heard of this problem frequently on this forum and it's nothing to worry about even though it's annoying. Mine has only just started doing it and that's with new pads and discs about 2k ago. Do a search on "brake noise reversing". There's various theories and solutions.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Mine also get surface rust overnight that takes the length of my drive to disappear. It can sound particularly horrible if I've been on my bike for a while and left the car to stand.

The absolute worst case is that the rear caliper pistons were damaged when they got wound in, and they're not backing off the discs properly. But if my cack-handed pad and disc swap can leave me with working brakes, I'd have thought they could survive anything!

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
Right then, finally had a chance to look into the problem, pads and all were ok and as per the suggestion I received elsewhere, I had the caliper sliders reassembled and the graunching has all but disappered :)

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
So basically sticking caliper sliders? Common fault on all makes and models of car when the little rubber gaiter splits. Nobody likes a split rubber!:lol:
Easy job as long as they come out, remove, clean, clean hole, regrease, change gaiter/boot if split and reassemble. Sorted.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise