Brake judder

Jr71

Mar 18, 2014
Hi All,
I've just put new disk & pads on the front of my toledo. At 55 / 60 when braking I get a judder.
I've only done about 15 mile in it.
What do you think?
Cheers Jay

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Jr, Did you clean off the discs before fitting them, some come with a coating which prevents the discs from going rusty. If you did'nt do that then the coating will be all over the pads and could cause just what you did'nt want...Judder. The other part to check on is the sliding posts inside the Caliper. If one or both are sticky then this can cause the calipers and pistons to come into contact with the discs unevenly which again will cause judder. Have a look at the rear discs as well to see if they are warped as this too can lead to judder. Easy way is to remove the wheel and put a pen or something else with a point close to the outer side of the edge of the disc and revolve the disc......any warp will be quickly apparent do the same with the fronts as well. They may be new but I have known them be out of true through past experience.. Good luck.

Jr71

Mar 18, 2014
Hi Old Bloke,
I just wiped them down with a clean rag. If it did have a protective coating are they knackered now?

Cheers Jay

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
No, Read ALL of this before having another go.
What you will have to do is take the Pads out and clean then off by rubbing them over 40 or 60 grit rubbing down paper ON A FLAT SURFACE to clean off any residue, don't forget to wear a mask when doing this. It'll only take a few minutes for each one and you'll see when they are clean.
While you've got them out see if the calipers move forward and back on the sliding posts, they will be a little stiff but, if they don't move unless you put a lot of pressure on them then they could be corroded up.
To get at them if this is the case remove the round rubber plug at the top and bottom on the inner side of the caliper, you will see a hexagon shape allen bolt inside which I think is 10 millimetres in size. Undo one at a time and pull it right out, if it is corroded then clean it up with 320 grit wet and dry paper and cover it thinly in copaslip NOT grease
( Copaslip will stand the high temperatures of braking, grease won't Don't get it on the discs if you do clean it off thoroughly with disc cleaner )
Clean out the hole it came out of in the caliper as well with new same grit paper, in the middle is a rubber seal which grips the slider so don't overdo it.
Use fresh 320 grit paper on the two faces of the discs and then clean off with disc cleaner on a rag. Paint Thinners can be used BUT will stink like heaven but it won't leave a residue on the discs either, it is HIGHLY flammable so don't smoke around it or have any heat source near it.
As with anything on a braking system....be clean and be methodical check twice if necessary.
Don't forget the only thing worse than not going is NOT STOPPING.

Jr71

Mar 18, 2014
Up date on the brakes, I took it into my local garage. I'd put the pads on wrong 2 springs on one side?

They have told me to give what tools I have to a local charity shop :)

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thank God it was only a minor problem resolved by your garage. I cannot state enough that if you try and do something to the braking system make sure that you really DO KNOW what you are doing IF you don't leave it alone and stump up for those who do.
As for the advice by your local garage Jr..................Follow it.
I know in these tough times people are going to try and get 110 per cent out of their motors BUT if you have little or no clue then for Christ's sake don't try it ESPECIALLY with brakes.
I have had 15 years in the Motor Trade ( Long Time ago admittedly ) so I fully understand how, where, and why strip downs and rebuilds are carried out on all parts of vehicles.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.