Brake lights doing peculiar things

alog4287

Feb 15, 2015
Hi everyone.

I was greeted by my garage window flickering red at me yesterday morning.

All three brake lights seem to be going bananas when the car is off.

I've done as much searching as I can but now I'm stuck.

The lights flicker (or sometimes stay on for a while) if the ignition is on or off, or if the engine is running.

First thing I did was disconnect the brake light switch, same symptoms. Except now if the ignition is on the lights are stuck on, like it's supposed to.

Now I'm hunting battery or earthing points. Ruled out the battery as i connected up a good batt with no effect. Ive disconnected what i think are the 3 separate earth points for the lights. Left and right in the boot floor and on the boot lid also just unplugged the high level for good measure. Each shut off the individual light but not the flicker.

And Now. . . . I'm stuck.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

alog4287

Feb 15, 2015
Umm. Still stuck.

Now having fun with wires. Unplugged all three of the main connectors (one at a time) from the central control module to see if that might clear up where the break / crossed wire might be? The flicker still exists on whichever brake lights have power. Soooooo. . . Yeah.

Back tracking a bit. I now have a consistent message on Vagcom of an "implausible signal from brake light switch" which I ignored as unplugging it didn't stop the flicker at all? Was that stupid to ignore? Ie. If you unplugged a working brake switch do the lights do funny things with ignition on but engine off?

I have the newer, under the bonnet, kind of brake switch if anyone is keen to delve under their bonnet to see.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.