Brake Noise - PHEV

Jones2020

Jul 14, 2023
Hi,

i have new phev since a week ago, with 800 km on it. Something bothers me since the beginning, whenever ride slowly and brake to a standstill. I keep hearing my brakes back wheels, its the kind of sound you get when your brakes are worn out or if they arent used a while (like rust)

is this normal? Will it go away with time?

Villabrand

Apr 2, 2023
Have the same on my V2 1.5. brakes are pretty noisy and like to squeak from time to time. I have tried some brake cleaner but does not make much difference, will have a moan when it's due for a service though that is a while away.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
is this normal? Will it go away with time?
In the particular case of the PHEV version the brakes are less used than those of the ICE versions - of course, depending on how much Regeneration you are using. It is not unusual for the brake discs to generate some noise upon the first several braking sequences. That also depends on some factors such as: how much humidity the car drove through, how much humidity is there around the parking area...
If you have a longer trip and if you apply several stronger brakings - do you still hear that noise afterwards?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
In the particular case of the PHEV version the brakes are less used than those of the ICE versions - of course, depending on how much Regeneration you are using. It is not unusual for the brake discs to generate some noise upon the first several braking sequences. That also depends on some factors such as: how much humidity the car drove through, how much humidity is there around the parking area...
If you have a longer trip and if you apply several stronger brakings - do you still hear that noise afterwards?
I had this problem with my PHEV 245 and found the rear discs were quite corroded. I used several hard braking events and, in a safe location application of the handbrake at low speeds to 'clean up' the rear discs. Ever since then I have just used the Low regeneration setting so the actual brakes do more work.

At a recent service inspection the technician advised to put the car in neutral, which prevents regeneration taking place and then brake normally to keep the brakes clean.

I am getting a new set of rear pads and discs under warranty due to the pads sticking to the disc in wet weather, there is a new pad material available to prevent the pads sticking to the disc.

Reactions: LetsForment
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.