Brake Pad Sensor

knade

Jul 22, 2016
Hi,

Noticed really bad performance with my brakes today, sounds almost like a bit of metal on metal on the front pads / discs.

My question is, the manual says that theres a brake pad wear indicator on the dash, can anyone verify if it is present on the Mk3 Fr 150 tdi.

To give you more info, I've got 13.5k on the car since I bought it new in November.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
All mk3 models sold in the UK have the dash indicator for worn front pads.

My fronts lasted 21k on my ST DSG before they were replaced. You also get a warning on the infotainment system.

knade

Jul 22, 2016
Thanks, the indicator is definitely not on, just really strange that I've lost so much performance from them.

I've got a check with Seat tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Iirc they only have the wear indicator on one side, so if the pad on the side with no sensor wore faster then I guess its possible to wear pads to the metal before you got a warning sensor.
Although your unlikely to have that much of a brake imbalance on a car that new.
Depending which wheels you have, you should be able to see the pad material and how much is left on the oboard pad side of the discs if you look through the wheel spokes

knade

Jul 22, 2016
Sorry meant to come back sooner.

Brakes were checked and deemed to be fine in the end, plenty of life still in them and do feel better than they did so not sure what went on.

They also said that they don't have wear sensors on them even though all the info I've seen seems to indicate they should. Though I've noticed that the manual doesn't mention them, except for a warning light.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
They don't have wear sensors as such. On some cars, like BMW you get readings throughout its life telling you how much wear has taken place. On our cars, you just get a warning once they are spent.

rickster665

Rickster665
Mar 8, 2017
Rotherham
Just to add same car as you i get a nice sound to them evry now and then like there not there anymore but when i look theres plenty and disks fine ect its normaly for about 5-10 min when it does happen tho but its normaly when there getting quite abit of use so that could be a factor with mine

To add about manuales and you reading stuff

I have the voice comand button and seat said it should be there but its never wirked since i got the car 2nd hand from a dealer its due in for a look see but now seats telling me it did not get fitted ?
Hiw ever it comes with the easy connect wich it has and seat confirmed this also so dont belive evrything seat says off the bat they can not make up there mind what the car has via my reg or vin search