Brake upgrade Cupra

agentme

Apr 29, 2008
Hey guys..
Anyone who has upgraded their brakes on a Cupra ?
Is there any slottet discs or so avaliable ?

thanks!

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i am sure you will be able to get standard discs slotted if you have someone with a milling machine near you but i have been looking for 2 piece discs for a while but dont think they have been released for out car yet.

Are you having problems with yours aswell?

my discs became warped so have decided to upgrade to something slightly bigger

agentme

Apr 29, 2008
i don't have problems myself yet - but they fade when going on them on the track..
so i wan't some better ones - but i don't wanna upgrade to the **** expensive brembo kits :D

and i also wan't some that looks better :)

Poverty

i think poverty has some upgraded discs , but standard calipers.
most just upgrade their pads.

yep I did indeed and lets all learn from my experience. I have since ditched that setup.

Having now learned a great deal through my own experience, I would say the first step to improve the cupra brakes is to get better pads, uprated brake fluid and braided hoses. Dont bother with the discs and just keep them oem. Then if that is still not enough for you, it will be time to save for a big brake kit.

beedie

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me (having tried it) whether the cupra brakes (345mm) fit behind 17" wheels or are 18's a defiate minimum?
Drive an Octavia VRS and don't understand why they've put 312's on a bigger, heavier car when the Cupra get these monsters.
Thanks
Scott

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me (having tried it) whether the cupra brakes (345mm) fit behind 17" wheels or are 18's a defiate minimum?
Drive an Octavia VRS and don't understand why they've put 312's on a bigger, heavier car when the Cupra get these monsters.
Thanks
Scott

The Reason the VRS gets 312mm's is because the VRS = Leon FR and the FR has 312mm's

The Cupra is a "Higher Spec Hot Hatch" and therefore they decided it needed 345's to stop its 240BHP

Last edited:

noktoto

Mar 10, 2008
Poland
Thanks
Scott

Cupra brakes will fit behind most 17" wheels.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
"yep I did indeed and lets all learn from my experience. I have since ditched that setup."

What happened there Pov? Must've missed that one:shrug:

Poverty

"yep I did indeed and lets all learn from my experience. I have since ditched that setup."

What happened there Pov? Must've missed that one:shrug:

Added friction from the discs onto the wrong type of pads meant they got too hot, and I consequently cooked the discs and pads.

Grooved discs make a bit of noise and added vibrations over standard discs also. Sure they would have worked better with better pads, but I decided I didnt want extra noise and vibrations that comes with the grooved discs for minimal gains.

Good pads, fluid and braided hoses would be the best things to do on the cupra setup imo. No need to spend big money on grooved discs unless they need replacing anyway.

agentme

Apr 29, 2008
Added friction from the discs onto the wrong type of pads meant they got too hot, and I consequently cooked the discs and pads.

Grooved discs make a bit of noise and added vibrations over standard discs also. Sure they would have worked better with better pads, but I decided I didnt want extra noise and vibrations that comes with the grooved discs for minimal gains.

Good pads, fluid and braided hoses would be the best things to do on the cupra setup imo. No need to spend big money on grooved discs unless they need replacing anyway.

So - what are good pads ? ;)
I need to replace the discs anyway and i already have braided hoses made :)
Just loves the discs when they have slots or holes or someting.. looks alot more fancy :D

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
I disagree to a point. The disc setup on the copra is poor and I have spoken to several people who have warped the discs. Do t get me wrong they have good power to begin with buti feel they loose their urgency very quickly.

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
agent i have ferodo ds2500 pads and cannot fault them... still on my standard 312mm (fr) discs but have improved the braking immensly... also had my fluid done at the same time...

Poverty

I disagree to a point. The disc setup on the copra is poor and I have spoken to several people who have warped the discs. Do t get me wrong they have good power to begin with buti feel they loose their urgency very quickly.

I warped and scored my "uprated" discs too.

So - what are good pads ?
I need to replace the discs anyway and i already have braided hoses made
Just loves the discs when they have slots or holes or someting.. looks alot more fancy

Holed discs will get stress and crack marks near the holes. SBS Bremtech are one of the better ones if you want a holed disc. There is also tarox but they are stupid expensive.

With you running over 500hp in the near future I would have thought you might consider getting a big brake kit?

Ferodo ds2500 and pagid blues are highly rated.