Brakes Mk1 LCR

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
My discs and pads are pretty knackered and with so many combinations out there, can anyone recommend a good set of discs and pads for my LCR. I drive a mixture of urban and rural so require something that does not need ages to warm and with some pretty good bite.
Any experiences?

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I'm in a similar situation to you. Interested in getting new discs and pads. I just want quality items for road use. I noticed pagid do 323mm discs and pads from euro car parts. Wonder if they're good?

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I'm in a similar situation to you. Interested in getting new discs and pads. I just want quality items for road use. I noticed pagid do 323mm discs and pads from euro car parts. Wonder if they're good?
Exactly right. I'm not sure if they are. There is Brembo and MTEC also. Really don't know which to go for. Hopefully someone will give is a steer based on experience

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I’ve had the cheap £35 brembo pads from ECP and wasn’t that impressed.
my current pads are brembo hp2000 and I’ve also not been impressed. I’m wondering if they didn’t bed well with used discs.
OEM brembo pads are no longer available.
Too many mixed reviews on Facebook groups makes it difficult to know what is best.

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Well I have tarox f2000 discs on the fronts and pads wise ferodo ds2500 I love the how they work pricey yes but defo do a great job straight from the off I did have tarox pads but they squall until warmed up and the brake dust was not the best the ds2500 pads don't don't do any of that, I went for them based on a old thread about pads and lot recommended them I do too. The rears are standard. People who have drove it or been in the passenger seat have been impressed by how responsive and fast acting they stop you when needed.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Well I have tarox f2000 discs on the fronts and pads wise ferodo ds2500 I love the how they work pricey yes but defo do a great job straight from the off I did have tarox pads but they squall until warmed up and the brake dust was not the best the ds2500 pads don't don't do any of that, I went for them based on a old thread about pads and lot recommended them I do too. The rears are standard. People who have drove it or been in the passenger seat have been impressed by how responsive and fast acting they stop you when needed.
Cheers Dazza

Tarox F2000 are like £380 😬
That is a bit pricey for me. But I can see that these are top notch!
I wonder if there is anything nearly as good but not as expensive. I will continue to research

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Yeah defo not cheap, I was lucky enough for the disc's to come with the car when I bought it and looked after them lol, but what ever you do don't look up the price of the pads they are insane, I paid just over 100 when I bought them. Alot of people like the red,yellow stuff pads but again very pricey. Sadly but obviously better stopping power comes at a price hurts your wallet and feels like a kick in ya balls just for good measure 😆

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Ok, what kind of driving are we talking about? Taking grandma to the shops? Trackday hooning? Mix of both? Somewhere in between?

Also, what tyres are you running?

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Ok, what kind of driving are we talking about? Taking grandma to the shops? Trackday hooning? Mix of both? Somewhere in between?

Also, what tyres are you running?
It's a mix really mate. Whilst I live in London, the **** hole it is I travel to Herts on motorway a few days a week for work. You could be doing 90 and need to slow right down sometimes and that bite just don't stay long enough getting down to 40. No track days. Not into that yet lol.. tyres P Zero

Last edited:

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
What might these be like for £166 squid

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317-175330.png
    Screenshot_20230317-175330.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 55

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Ok, with info provided, here's my advice...

Save money on discs / Spend money on pads

The Godspeed stuff is excellent but far beyond what's necessary for the usage you'll put them to.

Get some plain discs, whatever you fancy but cheap isn't necessarily bad (I run Eicher which is amongst the cheapest of brands and treat them hard).

Pads... without going full race pad like the DS2500 etc, Pagids are not a bad shout but maybe an upgraded pad like Ferrodo DS Performance or EBC Bluestuff for a little more confidence in all conditions

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Ok, with info provided, here's my advice...

Save money on discs / Spend money on pads

The Godspeed stuff is excellent but far beyond what's necessary for the usage you'll put them to.

Get some plain discs, whatever you fancy but cheap isn't necessarily bad (I run Eicher which is amongst the cheapest of brands and treat them hard).

Pads... without going full race pad like the DS2500 etc, Pagids are not a bad shout but maybe an upgraded pad like Ferrodo DS Performance or EBC Bluestuff for a little more confidence in all conditions
Thanks for the info mate. You may well be right!
I have just seen Halo Performance discs also. Again, no clue what they will be like lol 😆

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yep pads are more important than discs, but be aware that cheaper uncoated discs will get rust. In my experience they look fine for a month, then will go a horrible bright orange and stay like that for 5 or 6 months before the rust then darkens and becomes unnoticeable.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Whilst I'm not saying they're the best option (I don't have experience of their discs), we do get 10% off EBC stuff as they're a forum sponsor.

The reason I say go for plain rather than the slotted/grooved/dimpled/drilled discs is because the latter are for looks unless you plan on repeated heavy braking. I mean if you want the looks go for it, nothing wrong with that 👍

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Choose pads by driving style and bed them in properly.
Cheap pads like eicher still need bedding, the more robust pads have particular bedding procedures.
Ebc are a good pad, choose wisely.
If you fail to bed a pad in it's gonna be poor

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Yeah that sounds a good combination fella, I looked at them discs and they get good reviews the subaru boys seem to rate them highly and everyone knows how good them ds2500 pads are so should be night and day over standard. Don't think you will disappointed with them.