Brakes waste of time

hedge

Feb 28, 2004
Hedge said:
Edited to say found out the squealing is because the brakes need a race style bedding in!

So thats what I'm going to do when I get the discs

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
CM pads I get are Race Ready..
Warm up bedding in process is really easy..
Coats disk with transfer layer... [B)]

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Super Dot 4 has worked well for me also..
Castrol stuff.

Used it @ Combe after boiling my Dot 5.1, been fine ever since. :D

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
ibizacupra said:
Super Dot 4 has worked well for me also..
Castrol stuff.

Used it @ Combe after boiling my Dot 5.1, been fine ever since. :D

Castrol Super DOT4 is what we generally use at work, seems very good, i'd second that :)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
jerry said:
what's wrong with DOT5.1 ?

No no no no.... read it again... Forget Dot5, not Dot5.1 - Different things..
Super Dot 4 seems to have helped me.
Boiled Dot 5.1 previously. Super Dot 4 has been fine ever since.

slim_boy_fat

The DOT classifacation is just a minimum spec that the fuid has to reach.

DOT 3,4 and 5.1 are suitable for road cars. DOT 5 is NOT hydroscopic, ie it doesnt absorbe water. The problem with that is that any water you get in the fluid will just collect behind the piston and when the brakes go >100 deg C you know what happens. The others absorbe the water throughout the total volume of fluid.

The one good thing about DOT 5 is that its totally non corrosive and not very flamable. So if you fancy changing your fluid every wekk then you can prob use DOT 5.

Me i use ATE super Blue in my Porsche, it does NOT make brakes squeel only Pagid pads do that. But Pagid Bluse are the business.

Castrol SRF fulid is slightly higher dry and more importantly wet BP than ATE super blue but its costs 5 times as much!!!

Super blue all that way, good value and high Dry and Wet BP, much much higher than any DOT 5.1 fulid out there.

:cheers:

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
SORRY GUYS, I KNOW THIS IS A THREAD FROM THE DEAD LOL!!

BUT, i have fitted a ECS stage 1 335mm big brake kit to my Leon Cupra with Pagid RS4-2 pads and to be honest even after running them in i am dissapointed in them. They are awefull, worse than my old worn out 312mm kit i had on before!! PLEASE HELP :cry::cry:

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply M0rk!

I fitted them on the weekend, my Dad is a mechanic and i have a good basic knowledge of stuff. However that can't be an issue as the calipers were not removed during fitment?? Surely they won't require bleeding.......

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
what's the kit then? new discs & carriers, but not calliper?

how many miles have you done to bed them in? cleaned the discs with petrol to degrease them first?

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
The kit is yea new disc and modified caliper carrier to accomodate the bigger 335mm disc. The kit is second hand light use, purchased from Awesome Feb 2008 so its still in good condition, discs arent lipped or anything like that.

I never thought degreasing the disc would be that critical TBH? Surely with some use that would clear relatively quickly?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
If you're not sure, I'd whip the callipers off, clean the discs up & check the state of the pads (and clean the surface a bit with some sandpaper)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.