Brakes!!

Bidey

Hi,
The wheels on my Altea 1.9TDI reference are 16" diameter

What about the rear discs and minimum thickness?

Also still trying to find out.
Where is the best deal to buy these and typical fitting time?

Bidey fae Perth

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
The rears are pretty much standard across the board i think, there are two types of pad, so if you can take the old one with you to get the new ones, saves lots of hassle. also, rears need the carrier removal and a caliper windback tool, very useful. Cant remember the size of the bolt for the carrier, it is a 12 point torx key. After that pretty easy to do, I had never done this and after faffing about with not taking the carrier off, I got it done in half hour.

Guys

I was looking at the 312mm brake on ETOS for the Altea. I was comparing the brake part numbers etc from the PR-1ZE and PR-1LJ pages (312mm and 288mm pages)

The brake pads themselves are the same part number. if that is the case then braking performance is exactly the same since pad coverage is the same. Is ETOS wrong? though since the brake callipers are the same then I guess the pads will be the same as well. so upgrading to 312mm discs is looks only.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
OK we've been over this many times before:
difference between 288 and 312 is just the carriers. Calipers and pads are exactly the same.
So pad area is the same BUT
1. Swept area much larger per rotation of disc so more braking "power" greater heat dissapation
2. Larger mass of metal so greater heat dissapation
3. Much greater torque or leverage available due to increased diameter of disc.
I have noticed a much smoother progressive pedal/brake action, far less snatchy.
I have checked 345mm and 312mm pads side by side - very little difference in size/area

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Even as a dealer, this issue has me intrigued. ETKA is not always correct on brake parts and we often find a rummage thru the stock is necessary to find the right pads for a car on the ramp. For example, Mk1 Leon rear pads still seem to crop up regularly on Altea/Toledo/Leon and front pads are soooo hit and miss.
Possibly a bit of the Citroen/Peugeot attitude at the SEAT factory - if its on the shelf and fits the car, stick it on and sod the instructions :lol:

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
OK we've been over this many times before:
difference between 288 and 312 is just the carriers. Calipers and pads are exactly the same.
So pad area is the same BUT
1. Swept area much larger per rotation of disc so more braking "power" greater heat dissapation
2. Larger mass of metal so greater heat dissapation
3. Much greater torque or leverage available due to increased diameter of disc.
I have noticed a much smoother progressive pedal/brake action, far less snatchy.
I have checked 345mm and 312mm pads side by side - very little difference in size/area

Sounds about right. Checked mine as am replacing discs and pads, in each part book it states 280mm disc for the 16" wheel and 288mm for the 17" wheel. Mine is 288mm with 16" OEM wheel, that is on a 5P chassis MKIII Toledo.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Am pretty sure they won't fit as there is ~10mm clearance, if that between rear face of caliper and the inner diameter of the wheel. 312mm is 17" wheel minimum.

Hi,
I have SEAT ALTEA 1.9 TDI Reference 05 Reg. What size are the Discs and what is the minimum thickness for both front and rear discs.
Where is the best deal to buy these and typical fitting time?

Bidey fae Perth

if you want Geniune parts then david @ seremotors, though postage maybe steep since the discs are bloody heavy. genuine 312mm carriers from seat are £104 then + vat! (thats each lmao)

i have mone now just awaiting a good day to fit them though need to confirm pads, since only one new pad has a wear indicator, which seems weird to me. usually each side has a wear indicator.

CrispDust, or anyone can you confirm that each side has a wear indicator fitted to one of the pads?

need to go check mine i guess but doesn't seem right that only 1 pad out of four has a wear indicator.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Hmm I had a sensor lead on pad but no wire on car chassis to attach!
Weird.
I would have thought brake pad wear sensor where all but standard on any car these days?