Brakes

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
does anyone know the make of the brake master cylinder for a pd 130
had a look online for a new one and it comes up with loads of models

i have managed to find a Bosch version but not sure if that's what's on the car as its not with me just now.

\\\\\\\\\also does this sound like a master cylinder fault. Brake pedal drops to the floor when i start the car and after one press its solid again but when i press the brakes its like pressing against a wall and not much braking going on

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Ok we have just replaced the abs sensor on the front drive wheel as some one had repaired it using sellotape up at the wheel arch. Brakes feel normal again. Would a faulty wheel sensor have caused spongy brakes. We had no code thrown for it but it was just twisted together and then covered in sellotape.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Pedal will feels as if it sinks when you start the car.. does it on all cars due to the Servo working.
Faulty brake sensor should show as ABS light on dash. It will not affect braking .. well I guess not sure if you twisted both wires together? Normally these things break and fail open and not as closed..
Find a quiet area with no one about. Hold on to the steering wheel and from about 20mph do an emergency stop.. it should pull up straight and square without that much pedal force.. if it twists/dives left/right on braking you have a problem at one/some wheels/brakes. If it stops but feels very heavy then check for vacuum on the Servo.
Master cylinder failure does happen but very rare. It will go to the floor with pressure and you will feel the clank as it hits the end of the stroke.. normally with no engine on and a few pumps you lose vacuum and then the pedal is hard but has a bit of spongy feel (steel flexi brake hoses reduce this).

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
First step would be to bleed the brakes, might be air in the system. Has the level in the fluid reservoir dropped? Could be a master cylinder problem