Break Pad replacement Guide please

pickie

Jul 8, 2005
Hi all

might seem silly to some ,but can some one tell me how to replace the pads front and rear on my cupra please as i almost fell off my chair when i got a quote from Kwik fit for new pads, and plus i have never changed anything myself, but with the prospect of getting the job done for parts cost only im going to give it a go :)

cheers

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Not being funny but are brakes something you really want to 'give a go'.

They are kind of important to you and although are pretty simple to do they are easy to muck up.

Where abouts are you?

Mat

i like to give most things "a go". but when it comes to breaks, i let my mates do em. after all, they are the only things between you and hitting the car/child/garage wall in front of you!

pickie

Jul 8, 2005
ok cool

its just that i was quoted £152

for front and rear pads which includes the fitting

i understand ppl need to be paid for the work they do, BUT £152

i have been quoted £35 for JUST the front and rear Pads ??

£117 for Labour ??? Fcuk me im in the wrong buiessness

anyone want there pads replacing ?? ill do them for £120 fitted

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Price wise for labour thats not bad, we charge £65 + vat an hour at VW dealership and would charge 1.8 hours out for front and rear pads, we'd be charging you £117 + vat just for labour.

Doesn't seem a bad price tbh, depends on what quality of parts there using and how good a job they do.

To do yourself you'll ideally need:

A set of spanners
A rachet and sockets
Piston windback tool
Jack and Axle stands
Screwdrivers
File or Wire brush
Ideally Torque wrench
Copper Grease

Last edited:

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Aii I use a file or screwdriver at work as some of the vans pad carriers need filing to get the corrosion off so the new pads can fit freely, especially LT's.

Plus its not always easy to get a wire brush into the crevices when the pad carrier is still fixed around the disc.

previous post edited.

Last edited:

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
i hate working on LT's we do all the police vehicles at work which can be focus's astra's pug experts, LT's and unmarked ones, i hate workin on the LT's lol

im guessing that ull have done a fuel pump on one before..............................AAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
LOL the fuel filters on them are nice to do, especially when they've been used on quarries or muddy areas and you have to chisel crap away to get to them easily.

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
You mean when you've done the timing and pump belts on them.

There not bad theres certain ways to make it easier plus having 1551 machine to read out pump timing while your adjusting it makes it a whole lot easier.

If its just a belt change and its running ok when it comes in change cambelt as normal then before taking tension off pump belt lock the pump, release tension remove belt, then put new bottom tensioner in same place as one you take off, Loosen cam pully off put belt and main tensioner on and tension main tensioner, Nip cam pulley back up with airgun and unlock pump. Then adjust bottom tensioner if needed and tighten cam pulley back up using holding tool to make sure it doesn't move when tightening. No need to play with dial gauges setting pump timing up.

Last edited:

Black TDI Turbo

Oct 2, 2005
North East
Ah rite nice one we ended up send it to vw to get all sorted tbh the boss is an ass tho and just wouldnt send it to the in the first place even tho we told him wat needed to be done, just a quick question ive been looking at gettin some new carpet mats and seen your post on the mats, did u get any in the end? any pics

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Yeh to get it spot on you need a 1551 or 5051 to be able to read the pump timing in basic settings. We get a few that come to us from other places that need setting up.

No mate I haven't got round to getting any of the Cupra spec mats as they work out at around £85 for the set of 4.

I believe there just tailor fit plain black mats that clip onto the clips fixed in the carpet.

Part numbers are on the seat website in the accessories section under mark3 ibiza, protection and cupra only mats.

Last edited:

Black TDI Turbo

Oct 2, 2005
North East
Yeah thats the ones that i have on now, there just getting a little worn out thats all, ive seen the black with red piping ones and as my seat inserts are red n cars black thought id get those ones but unsure if they come with the press studs on the mats to hold them in place, get them through work with discount for £26.99 inc instead of £29.99 + and also get a strut brace for £50.98 inc instead of £59.99 +

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
You can buy the cupra spec mats individually.
Thats about the same as what I paid for my strutbrace.

I just get part numbers off etka or ring seat for part number, and if we haven't got it in stock I order it from VW uk through our parts dept.

Get a nice discount on most parts, only really trim stuff and seat specific stuff etc that only SEAT dealers can order that I can't get through works parts dept.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise