Breather hoses replacements or make up your own?

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Hi all,

I know this has probably been done to death but I'm struggling to find the right answers and spare time to do lots of searching is at a premium with home working and a 5 month old baby girl taking up all the spare seconds!!

I'm trying to get my 2004 LCR 225 bam back on the road again after it has been Sorn'd for over a year and a half, I've done various bits and it had a lot of work done for it's MOT just before it was Sorn'd but the breathers are now in an appalling state and very crumbly.

I have a badger TIP to go on too, will this fit directly onto the standard airbox or need cutting/trimming to fit?

In terms of the breathers, the L shape one behind the manifold has disintegrated but I have one of those on the way. The pipe on the other side of that T piece that goes up to the right handside of the rocker cover/crankcase is also shot, the long straight one and I'm unsure what that one connects to and where it goes as it's a while since I've seen it all together.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the pieces mentioned or any links? Best places to get the parts from?

Also any pics of what it should look like, which pipes go where, maybe an engine bay pic?

Also as an alternative idea, can these pipes just be replaced with the silicon pipe and some joints? I've read that you can use the 19mm silicon pipes cut to size with the T piece joints etc and jubilee clips but wanted a bit of advice from anyone that's done it etc

All info appreciated

Cheers!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ibiza1.8t-cupra

Jan 27, 2020
Hi,
I have the 1.8t Ibiza 2004.
Just done the PCV breather hoses, all new, from L elbow up to hockey puck. Including new breather valve to intake, had 2 or more air/ oil leaks from it. It is at this age all brittle and crumbling plastic/ rubber.

For info part numbers try oemepc.com/seat
It has all diagrams of all parts, has been so useful.

The hardest part is the crumbling L elbow as plastic bits drop into the oil cooler on removal, I got them out with hoover and a bit of thin hose taped to it.

ibiza1.8t-cupra

Jan 27, 2020
That's OK, I found the tricky bit is getting the new L elbow back in, put on o ring then some engine oil on it and a gentle tap from above with a screwdriver handle with rag around it, to enable you to get the spring clip in. Without the need for 3 arms and some extra joins in those arms. Good luck.

Reactions: CooptoCupra

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Thanks again always good to get the info from people who've done these bits already
Lol, most of the things on this car seem to need a 3rd arm and the ability to be a contortionist!!

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Thanks
I have a replacement part for the bit on the left of that T piece on the far right of the pic in the link.

I also need the pipes going from the right of that T piece up to the crankcase, I think they are a common split/disintegrating part too?

Catch can looks interesting but I'm not the most mechanically minded, I'll give things a go though

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Installing a catch can is simple and does away with all of that old crap apart from the crankcase breather elbow I've just sent mate.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
For reference, I drew up a list of part numbers a few years ago. I replaced everything except for item 10 (i couldn't stomach any more cost!!)
As @Thai-wronghorse states, catch can would simplify things and save cash, but this picture might prove useful for others in future.
pcv parts.PNG

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Installing a catch can is simple and does away with all of that old crap apart from the crankcase breather elbow I've just sent mate.

Will have to have a look into that then, I'm guessing there's plenty of guides on here to look at!

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Hi,
I have the 1.8t Ibiza 2004.
Just done the PCV breather hoses, all new, from L elbow up to hockey puck. Including new breather valve to intake, had 2 or more air/ oil leaks from it. It is at this age all brittle and crumbling plastic/ rubber.

For info part numbers try oemepc.com/seat
It has all diagrams of all parts, has been so useful.

The hardest part is the crumbling L elbow as plastic bits drop into the oil cooler on removal, I got them out with hoover and a bit of thin hose taped to it.
Afternoon, how did you actually get the broken bit of the crankcase breather elbow out where it attaches to the block ? Struggling on my LCR...

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Oh I was just about to reply to your PM but may as well do it here now ha

The plastic elbow has a metal collar insert which gets stuck in the top of the oil filter housing.
You'll need to carefully try to pull it up with some long nose pliers and may need some gentle persuading with a small flat screwdriver inbetween the lip to fold it inwards slightly to get it loosened.
Just be aware that any broken off fragments of plastic may fall into the housing so its worth stuffing it with tissue first or you'll need to unbolt the oil filter housing which is obviously unwanted here.

Last edited:

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Oh I was just about to reply to your PM but may as well do it here now ha

The plastic elbow has a metal collar insert which gets stuck in the top if the oil filter housing.
You'll need to carefully try to pull it up with some long nose pliers and need some gentle persuading with a small flat screwdriver inbetween the lip to fold it inwards slightly to get it loosened.
Just be aware that any broken off fragments of plastic may fall into the housing so its worth stuffing it with tissue first or you'll need to unbolt the oil filter housing which is obviously unwanted here.

Brilliant! Thanks for the advice, appreciate it, I'll go back to it and try that and add lots of swearing as well no doubt!

Reactions: Thai-wronghorse