BTCC engine question

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Tried searching but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

With the NGTC spec in this year, and reading some reports, it sounds like all the NGTC cars will be running the same engine. Surely this is not the case? I always thought the SEAT (for example) had a SEAT (VAG) engine block with souped-up racing ancillaries, likewise the BMWs run a BMW block with racy bits, the Civic a Honda block etc... If they all have the same engine, then why don't they make it a one-make event like the Leon SuperCup?

If a onesize-fits-all is the new way, then actually how much in common do the BTCC (and WTCC for that matter) cars have with our tinboxes? I always thought that they were basically production shells with company specific production standard engine blocks/gearboxes, and racing suspension. Add ons to the bodywork to cover the wider wheels/tyres, and roll cages built in. However, John Cleland made a comment on Eurosport WTCC coverage last year that stated the only thing they have in common is the wiper blades. I know that's an expression but that's how I would have described the DTM cars or NASCARs for example, not BTCC/WTCC.

BTW, is the Leon Supercup on TV this year, and if so, where?

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The teams have the option of running the spec Toca engine supplied by Swindon Racing Engines if they like, which apparantly comes at a very favourable price.

But apart from the 4 Vauxhalls (on which the engine is based) and one of the Toyotas, the other NGTC engines are from the manufacturers who make the cars. So a Ford has a Ford engine, VW/SEAT have a VAG engine etc.

The new spec NGTC cars all have the same subframes, gearboxes, brakes, wheels and suspension as eachother. It was like that 10 years ago too, although it didn't quite go as far as subframes and suspension.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Tried searching but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

With the NGTC spec in this year, and reading some reports, it sounds like all the NGTC cars will be running the same engine. Surely this is not the case? I always thought the SEAT (for example) had a SEAT (VAG) engine block with souped-up racing ancillaries, likewise the BMWs run a BMW block with racy bits, the Civic a Honda block etc... If they all have the same engine, then why don't they make it a one-make event like the Leon SuperCup?

If a onesize-fits-all is the new way, then actually how much in common do the BTCC (and WTCC for that matter) cars have with our tinboxes? I always thought that they were basically production shells with company specific production standard engine blocks/gearboxes, and racing suspension. Add ons to the bodywork to cover the wider wheels/tyres, and roll cages built in. However, John Cleland made a comment on Eurosport WTCC coverage last year that stated the only thing they have in common is the wiper blades. I know that's an expression but that's how I would have described the DTM cars or NASCARs for example, not BTCC/WTCC.

BTW, is the Leon Supercup on TV this year, and if so, where?

Leon Supercup is no more IIRC

John Cleland is right though, most shells are not taken from the production line - they're taken as panels & built into a car using minimal materials where not required & maximal strengthening where required (seam welding)

The only selling point is that they look like the car you have on the drive

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The exceptions are your small privateer outfits who have to dismantle a roadcar to create a racecar, which isn't ideal as it carries far too much excess weight from brackets and the rest of it. The Integras, 307s and Protons were all converted from roadcars, whereas the 888 Vauxhalls were obviously works cars and had the shells supplied without any of the needless brackets and other parts on them.

I know Toyota supplied shells for the Avensises (Avensii?) as that's given them publicity, but the Audi may well be a roadcar conversion. Which hasn't turned a wheel yet still.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Dave Pinkney was tweeting up earlier that they had an injector problem on the Audi, and if anyone had an S3 could they borrow one from it. :D

Someone pointed out, that an S3, Ed30 and Leon Cupra might just have the bit they are after. Don't think they got one though, or it didn't fix the problem if they did.

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
I suppose what I meant was that I could take a drivers door off Gabby Tarquini's WTCC Leon and bolt it onto my car and it would fit, likewise the bootlid, windscreen, headlight, bonnet etc. The floorpan and roof are identical to the panels put onto my car's shell in the factory.

However, there is nothing that a DTM Audi A4 has in common with a road version bar the name and maybe the badge.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Rumour has it that when Team Dynamics used save the works primera (as a prize?) for the final round, they were going to just repanel it with their doors and wings to save the painting.

Except they found their doors were a few inches taller than the "other" primera

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Yeah that's the one I was talking about. There were also rumours that TWR's Volvos weren't to scale, but then there were a lot of rumours about that team and all the alleged rule-stretching they did!