bucket seats...options and opinions.

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
i did a search on this but didnt really find what i was looking for, it was been a while since i posted something in here so i thought i would cease the opportunity! basically i am keeping my car for atleast another year or so, and i think something needs to be done to the inside as i am getting bored of the shoddy grey interior :( so my thought were to rip the seats out and put some bucket seats in and turn the car into abit of a project over the next year... i have seen a few sets i like but basically was wondering how easy it would be to do? thanks in advance :)

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
Its actually really easy to do, i had a set in my old silver Ibiza, and now i have a set in my Cupra. Pics are in the link in my sig.

Just needs a bit of thought on the fab n weld side of things!

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I had seen a pic of some Audi S3 Recaro seats. They bolt straight in.

The lad paid £400 for them and tbh they looked the shiz!

*Edit* Don't think they do bolt straight in. You would have to change some stuff, so it would get expensive!

Last edited:

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
Its actually really easy to do, i had a set in my old silver Ibiza, and now i have a set in my Cupra. Pics are in the link in my sig.

Just needs a bit of thought on the fab n weld side of things!

thanks alot mate i will be having a look and no doubt coming back to you for some help and advice :) i have just been looking at the slide rails on my car then and they seem quite far apart...im guessing every mk4 is the same... is it still easy enough to get the seats onto the rails? :)

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
You can get seat covers from SEAT to replave the standard ones, not the pull over type ones but the actual covers on the seats. Remember seeing a lad on here a few years ago and he got some, black with Seat Sport on them IIRC, looked cool.

Might be worth asking Sere Motors for them.

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
thanks alot mate i will be having a look and no doubt coming back to you for some help and advice :) i have just been looking at the slide rails on my car then and they seem quite far apart...im guessing every mk4 is the same... is it still easy enough to get the seats onto the rails? :)

All i did was have two crossbars, front to front, back to back etc, then two bars facing the front, at the pitch of the new seat holes, mount sliders on here, bolt on seatbelt fixing point, weld her up paint and go!

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
All i did was have two crossbars, front to front, back to back etc, then two bars facing the front, at the pitch of the new seat holes, mount sliders on here, bolt on seatbelt fixing point, weld her up paint and go!

what do you mean by two crossbars front to front and back to back? did you put the origional sliders from the chassis on top of these bars? then fixthe seat on top?

FR_Flavoured

With the car being 1.2 litre Ibiza (!!) , do you think a set of Bucket Seats will do the car justice?
With those in there, it will most certainly limit your potential market, when you come to sell the car in 1 years time (as you state).

Therefore, perhaps save up that money you might have spent on bucket seat, as it will be better putting it towards your next car, when the time comes to buying..... ;) :)

Or to brighten up the interior (if you havent already done so), fit the Alloy / Chrome interior pieces, for example on the air vent surrounds, gear gaitor, handbrake... it will look smarter and cost alot less!

Last edited by a moderator:

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
With the car being 1.2 litre Ibiza (!!) , do you think a set of Bucket Seats will do the car justice?
With those in there, it will most certainly limit your potential market, when you come to sell the car in 1 years time (as you state).

Therefore, perhaps save up that money you might have spent on bucket seat, as it will be better putting it towards your next car, when the time comes to buying..... ;) :)

Or to brighten up the interior (if you havent already done so), fit the Alloy / Chrome interior pieces, for example on the air vent surrounds, gear gaitor, handbrake... it will look smarter and cost alot less!

i would be taking them back out and putting it back to normal when i come to sell it, but in the meantime i think something needs to be done, i see what you mean about doing the car justice! i just think that they would look alright done properly.

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
what do you mean by two crossbars front to front and back to back? did you put the origional sliders from the chassis on top of these bars? then fixthe seat on top?

The two most forward holes, (M8 x 1.25mm) put a bar across the footwell and join them.
Do the same for the rear, then bolt adjusters onto bottom of new seat, bolt that onto two new rails. Line up in motor and when happy, weld the crossbars to the base bars.

Simples!

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
ah i see! but does this increase the height of the seat to higher than the standard ones or does the height remain the same?

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
Remains the same if not lower. If you need more height, simply add spacers and longer bolts in between the two rails.

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
Remains the same if not lower. If you need more height, simply add spacers and longer bolts in between the two rails.

i will want it abit lower than standard if possible :) are your seats fixed in position on the runners or can they slide? still abit confused about how you said you set them up that was all lol :confused:

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
The two most forward holes, (M8 x 1.25mm) put a bar across the footwell and join them.
Do the same for the rear, then bolt adjusters onto bottom of new seat, bolt that onto two new rails. Line up in motor and when happy, weld the crossbars to the base bars.

Simples!

do you remove the origional runners that are attatched to the chassi, then bolt or weld them on top of these bars which are going across, then put the runners onto the seat, then put them into the runners which are fixed to the car?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.