Burning smell when DPF regenerating?

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hi guys,

Just got my Leon back from the dealers after having the boot latch replaced as it was causing alarm issues, now when the DPF is on regen, there is a strong burning smell coming into the cabin through the airvents? I was parked up the other night while it was regening and when I revved the car to like 2,500rpm there was a light hazey mist coming from underneath the car, like it was oil burning, any ideas? Car has Milltek exhaust system on it, it smells like clutch burn but I don't do anything to make the clutch burn, i.e wheelspin?

Thanks,
Danny.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
The burning smell is quite normal, i get it all the time from regen. If it's coming into the car is your car stationary? I sometimes get it when the car is stationary. But very rare occasions though. Just the soot in DPF burning off.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
The burning smell is quite normal, i get it all the time from regen. If it's coming into the car is your car stationary? I sometimes get it when the car is stationary. But very rare occasions though. Just the soot in DPF burning off.

Chan, it's when driving and stationary, but it's only started doing it when I don't get? It's really weird, and as for the 'mist' that came from it, I have no idea.

Danny.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
i get quite a blue smoke coming out the exhaust if I leave it idling for a couple of mins when it sits at 1,000rpm (i,e. regen) then rev it ...

Almost like a really poorly engine burning oil, except its not .. i dont think at least.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
i get quite a blue smoke coming out the exhaust if I leave it idling for a couple of mins when it sits at 1,000rpm (i,e. regen) then rev it ...

Almost like a really poorly engine burning oil, except its not .. i dont think at least.

Well it is in a way. In regen mode the ECU injects diesel once at the correct time and again on the exhaust stroke (exhaust valve open). Taking into consideration that diesel is an oil, it would/could make a bit of blue haze.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.