Burnt out ignition coil

bluenose

Jul 22, 2002
north wales
Visit site
Just before sorting out my creaking clutch pedal the car decided it didn't want to start.
Drove it home from work the night before, no problem. Tried to start it up the next day, nothing. Would turn over but wouldn't fire.
Got it towed to local dealer with testing equipment (my usual garage didn't want to know - "we don't do Seat non starters, you'll have to take it to the dealer!!!!!).
Anyway, new ignition coil and lead fitted (along with clutch cable). Sorted.
Does anyone know why there was no indication of the fault and why it should just burn out that way? Does hitting the rev limiter affect the life of the coil?
Cheers. Please see my other thread about the blowing exhaust - when will this ever end????????

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
coils just go, end of really, pain in the ass

only one i know of that went at high revs was RobT's when he was searching the upper echelons of his 9k redline (blew at 7900RPM)

exhaust wise (i closed the other thread window) u can get separate sections n'stuff.

supersprint do a middle box thats non too shabby on price

see www.superpsrint.com and www.awesomegti.com for discount

:cheers:

bluenose

Jul 22, 2002
north wales
Visit site
Had a quick look at the Supersprint site.
Would I be in breach of any MOT regs (or encounter any running problems) if I went for the centre pipe with no box? Just thinking this should be cheaper in price!!!!!

skitz

my coil did the same thing one day it worked next day it didnt
pain in the arse

jamesg

my coil blew last week :)
£96 for a new one from seat seems seat. only took me a minute to fit.

was funny cos is was the first time i had let the lady drive my car and when she went to move it again it wouldnt start, priceless look on her face

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
supersprint centre pipe without sliecener is BAD,had one for a while,and on motorway journies it drove me mental.
a real drone from 3500rpm and up,

CupraGti

You drive a what?
Apr 6, 2004
Australia
The Seat coils are relatively weak. It went on my Ex's 95 GTi one night. 5 mintues at the local VW dealer and we were away. My sisters 95 CLX went last week! It's just one of those niggly things!

Seat didn't make it easy though, it's not as if you can walk into your local automotive retailer and they have one available (here in OZ anyway). If they used a generic Bosch item, it would make things alot easier! But then again, that's the price you pay for driving something different! :p

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
WOW, 8year old bump :blink:

Also you need to post in the correct location dude, there is a section for the Alambra

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members