Bushes and Ball joints

matsportline

Dec 26, 2006
Hello All,

Decided to change my ball joints and possibly my wishbone bushes! The car has only done 45k but I have a dodgy clonking knocking sounds that occurs when steering either stationary or moving slowly fowards and in reverse!!
How hard is it to change these can anyone give me a brief outline as never done it before!!(have done a search)
Also who to buy the ball joints from gen or factor apparently they should have a letter on them such as 'A'? and whether to buy poly bushes or new gen it is a daily driver!!
Cheers guys any help will be much appreciated!!!

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
I have the same noise on my car mate and it will most probably be the top strut top bearings and mounts look in the part numbers sticky at the top of the mk3 page and list the part numbers and prices i there, if its a ball joint it will have play in it or ull be able to see if a bush is split no point in replacing something that its knackered, as for fitting the bushes will need to be pressed in and out so if your not very mechanical and dont have the correct tools to do it ull struggle badly.

matsportline

Dec 26, 2006
I fitted new bearing rings and topmounts when I fitted my new fk konigsport silverline x coilovers!! My thoughts and from previous threads is it can't be anything else!! quite mechnically minded and I've always got my old man!!! I can sort of feel it through the steering its weird never had this prob with my golfs and it has the same front end!!!;)

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Oh rite got ya well eliminated that then, from what ive read tho alot of people have had problems from them coilovers making a knocking noise, didnt think there was much you can do to stop it, if its through the steering wheel then it might be worth looking for play in your track rod arms and track rod ends, they can cause the same type of noise.

matsportline

Dec 26, 2006
Going to take the wheels off in the next few days and have a feel around!! My friend who is a trainee at seat in bournemouth says a lot of them have problem with there anti roll bars!!! Really starting to wind me up I absolutely hate noises!!! weird that it only started when I lowered the car!!!
Have read all the posts relating to top mounts coilovers etc but no one has put their results of how they solved it!!! must be a lot of ibizas out there makin dodgy clonking/knocking sounds lol!!
Matt

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.