Buying a Cupra - a few questions

TeMpTeD

Hi Guys,

I'd already decided I was going to buy a Cupra before I'd even looked at one in detail. This weekend I went to see 3 all at one garage, so was given a good insight into what they are about etc.

I test drove one, albeit it for a very short journey and couldn't believe the power - going from a slow small family car the wheel spin was totally unexpected! :bleh: [B)] Handling wise I didn't get a proper go, but when I buy one I will definitely make sure the test drive is more substantial.

I just have a few questions if you anyone knows:

I don't know a lot about engines, but I took a mate who knows a fair bit and when he took the oil cap off the engine was 'blowing'. This is something he told me to look out for as an engine that was/could go bad. This put me off first of all. But we had the advantage of there being 2 others to check out. So we struck up the engines on these and they did exactly the same. We had to put this down to a characteristic of the car. Can anyone concrete this for us? Why do they do it?

The back box was very sooty - I know performance cars have been cained, but is this normal to expect or is it a problem to worry about?

Cupra badges - the black model I really wanted had quite a few anomalies with it which put me off. There was no Cupra badge on the front grille - can these be easily removed by CHAV's, or are they 'one' with the grille? Suggesting a ding perhaps. There was also no badge on the inside in front of the gear stick - this was a 2000 'X' reg - were there no badges on the inside of the car on this year's model? The '52 plate had one here.

The door interior handles seem to have clear lacquer on them - how easily does this stuff come off? Because two of the examples we saw had chips all over the place! Has anyone successfully re-lacquered theirs? This looked fairly poor quality.

Should there be a light on the dash to show that the front fog lights are turned on? The ones I checked did not have this - they only showed that the rear fog light was on.

The guy selling them had a black one - 2000 'X' with 36k on the clock at £6,500, the condition of the car would be described as average and had been CHAV'ed a little. He had a yellow one - 2000 '51 with 38k on the clock for £7,500. Both had their problems that needed sorting. The yellow looked like it had had a ding at the front with cracked grille, but the rest was fairly mint. Is it me, or are these a little overpriced?

So sorry about all of the questions, just don't want to buy a lemon!

Any input much appreciated.

Andrew

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
dose seem abit pircey best to go private IMO, the lacquer dose come off easy and dose llok bad but i dont know what to do with that, as for the badges i would be wondering why they were missing but i dont know how they are fixed.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
The badges on the front grill are seperate and reasonably easy to remove. They can be bought for about £5 or so.

The cupra badge by the gearstick was missing from alot of cupra's. It seems seat just forgot to put some in!

The 20vt engine does sound notoriously dodge on start up. I had a leon cupra for a while and that almost sounded like a diesel on startup but had only done 2000 miles!

There is no front fog dash light. I don't know why, they should have put one in i think. A light does come on tho on the fog light switch.

Hope that helps a bit.

TeMpTeD

Excellent stuff guys! This is all good news!

I would have bought the black one if it hadn't been for the stereo being completely knackered and the price being a bit crazy! It had tinted windows and looked very sexy indeed!!

Any more comments on price?

Andrew

Martin CUK

CruisinUK.com
Jul 13, 2004
NW
www.cruisinuk.com
Prices seem to vary at the moment, seen some for really low and some still seem to be holding their value!

Jimyu has covered all your questions, but I've taken my Cupra badges off the front and rear off my car, and used one on centre console instead, so someone could of just removed the badges on that car. :)