Buying a MK2 Seat Ibiza

KateL

Hi everyone, I'm new. :)

I'm hopefully going to look at a Seat Ibiza 2.0l 16v at the weekend, and I was just wondering if there was anything in particular I would need to look out for, i.e. common faults, problems etc.

Any help would be great!!! :clap:

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Welcome :D

The three points I can immediately think of would be:
  • Evidence of a cambelt change at somewhere between 40k - 60k intervals
  • Rust in the sills (there is a panel join under the doors)
  • Rust in the rear wheel arches

EssexIbiza1985

Oct 18, 2006
also check for rust in the boot floor due to the rear washer hose comin undone. this is located behind the left hand side tail light.

camt149

Feb 1, 2007
kemnay
as there getting to that good old age of the 10 year old sports car, check that the bushes wishbones etc, have been done in the past few years i didnt and ended up replacing wost of it ....*******

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
1. Bolster wear on the drivers seat is quite common so check for that.

2. Good service history will ensure that you end up with a reliable motor.

3. Check for damage or corrosion on the alloy wheels, it has a bubbling effect when it corrodes.

4. Check the rear window washer works its a common fault where the washer pipe falls off and the boot fills with water, its easily resolved with some superglue.

5. Check all the electrics such as A/C, windows and mirrors if it has them.

6. Find evidence of when brakes, tyres etc were changed as the brakes especially are quite expensive.

7. Check for oil in the coolant, and for leaks of coolant around the engine block, it will look like small crystals if any has leaked and dried.

8. Check the condition of the exhaust as these can be difficult and expensive to replace.

9. Check that the multifuction computer works for every reading as it should, it will take time for the car to warm up before it will read an oil temp. Oil temperature should peak in the mid to late 90's with normal driving and the temperature guage should never read more than halfway.

10. Take it for a damn good blast as the 16v really goes mental and its a really good fun :D

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
9. Check that the multifuction computer works for every reading as it should, it will take time for the car to warm up before it will read an oil temp. Oil temperature should peak in the mid to late 90's with normal driving and the temperature guage should never read more than halfway.

Sorry to hijack slightly but what would say the maximum oil temperature should be before you start to worry?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
The highest mine has ever gone is 104 degrees under heavy load and i am told that this is fine by my mechanic, i'm afraid i dont know what the highest safe value is, i can only go on my experiences with my cars :)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Don't forget to check the condition of the pedal box. To make sure its not cracked as its very expensive to replace. But trust me, once you find a good example, you will never look back [B)]

Mig

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
try to avoid ones with lack of road feel through the steering wheel

my 1.4 is like that i feel bumps through body not wheel, which is a shame as its a brilliant car. i was going to get a diesel mk4, but what with new job lined up and moving out this year it may wait as my current mk2 has given me no real trouble

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Dammit, i thought i'd achieved something unique in reaching 109 in mine, lol.

i feel like ive achieved something now youve said that lol! basically flat out on the motorway in serious heat! i must say i got concerned and backed off, it soon dropped down to around 98. usally sits around 88

EssexIbiza1985

Oct 18, 2006
Where is this temperature gauge? iv got a 99 1.4 mk 2 ibiza and havent seen anything on the dash which shows a digital oil temp...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.