Cabelkt and waterpump quotes

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Hi guys. Just got a quote for my 1997 ibiza gti 2.0ltr 16v for the cambelt to be done as i dont know when it was done i know i must get it changed.
I got a quote of 215
I then asked about the waterpump and i got a quote of 150 bringing it to a total of 365.
I thought this was expensive so rung around ang got the same sort of prices.
Is this about right....Apparently they are two seperate parts or something and dont come together.
My water pump is a little noisy after a long run but what will happen if it goes??
Is it neccessary to definately have done at the moment??
VAG quoted 425
Thanks guys appreciate it
Chris

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
That's right, the waterpump and the cambelt are sold separately.

If the waterpump goes, it'll probably seize. The effect is the same as a broken cambelt.

Oh, and to change the waterpump, the cambelt needs to come off, so it's worth doing both together.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
16v ABF water pump is driven off the pas pump externally not cam belt don't confuse it with the 20vt mind

if you are having the water pump done go for the dearer one with the housing included as it's only 3/4 bolts to undo because if you get the cheaper one you will end up going back for the full one after you break off all the water pump bolts anyway, change the thermostat too while it's off

how do you know the water pump is noisy ?

mcchriswood

Aug 8, 2009
Hi mate ... again lol
It was brought to me from maidenhead to wherre i live in kent and the feller said when he dropped it off best get the waterpump changed because it was a little noisy after a long run.
Cambelt is being done as i haven't a clue when it was last done.
A garage is doing it all so shall i ask them for the more expensive one?? if so what exactly shall i ask.
As for thermostat housing is that also neccessary then as the bill is mounting up lol.
I only paid 400 for the car.
Thanks