Caliper seal kits

gib9060

hi folks looking for some advice i have a 1999 mk2 gti 16v and am looking to refurb my brake calipers front and rear does anyone know if you can get rebuild kits from any where?:help:

btw excellent work guys lovin all your projects. keep up the good work :D

cupraspark

Aug 7, 2008
Huntingdon
seal kit

Hello mate:) Yes you can get seal kits from Seat and VW you will have to tell them your chassis no etc.
I have a 1998 cuprasport 2L 16v and i got a service kit for my rear calipars, the part no is
Rear seal kit 8D0 698 671
In the kit you get seals and dust caps for both sides, i think i paid about £15

I don,t know what the part number is for the front also the slider pins and dust caps you can get from Ford, if you search this site someone has got the part number for that.
Hope this helps:)

rubjonny

You'll need a proper wind back tool, I'd post a link but I'm not allowed! Do a search for 'caliper wind back tool', I got one from tooled-up dot com.

Hopefully you wont need new pins, but make sure tyou take them all out and give the pins+holes a damn good clean. If you spot any corrosion/pitting they'll need replacing. Oh and the rear seals come with a sachet of special grease, you have to leave all the seals submerged in it for a few hours before you begin. this is because the rear pistons spin in the caliper when the handbrake is applied, so theyt need special lube to prevent them tearing. Front seals just use boggo brake fluid.

Part numbers:
443 698 470 - front/rear caliper slider repair kit - 7.92+VAT x4 (1 per caliper)
contains:
2x boots
grease
2x Caliper bolts

8D0 698 671 - rear caliper cylinder seals - 12.28+VAT x1 (1 kit contains enough for 2 calipers)

431 698 471 B - front caliper cylinder seals - 8.16+VAT x2 (1 kit contains enough for 1 caliper)

N 907 085 04 - front carrier bolt x4
N 019 912 3 - rear carrier bolt x4

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
i done my a while back and didnt need the tool..done it very carefully and jobs a goodn..i

Last edited by a moderator:

rubjonny

yeah seems to be hit & miss, some have no problems and some really struggle with it. I've heard of a angle grinder spanner + g clamp being used at a push. The most important thing to know is you must turn the rear piston clockwise while you push it in, otherwise you'll bugger the handbrake mechanism.

oh and my method for removing the front piston is to put a bleed nipple into the flexy pipe hole, and put a foot pump on it. Pops it out no bother. To wind out the rears just work the handbrake lever till it becomes loose enough to spin by hand if you dont have a windback tool

gib9060

top marks guys thats the new seal kits all ordered up and some braided lines too:funk: i already have the wind back tool and brake seal lube so hope to get it all done very soon, rear caliper is stickin so thought id just get the lot done before the winter realy gets here. i got all my body work done and just passed an mot :D hopefully this will be the last thing to do for a while but its a mk2 ibiza so you never know :headhurt: cheers again guys :p

gib9060

bleed screws

my seal kits arrived but with no bleed screws anyone know what thread size and lenght they are? :blink:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
cant you take yours out and measure? oh and those seals should be soaked over night before fiiting

gib9060

i tried to take them out for a quick measure using the correct brake pipe spanner of course, but as luck would have it they decided to sheer off [:@] so when i take them out i need new ones to go in :headhurt:

rubjonny

M10x1 is the thread pitch on them :)

VAG part number: 357615273

or you can pick em up from egay

Last edited by a moderator:

gib9060

right ordered up the bleed screws so if all go's well all the bits should arrive this week :D thanks guys for your help top notch ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise